Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

johnfosteruk

The Hyades

6 posts in this topic

I was out comparing to new (to me) 'vintage' binos earlier and did a quick sketch to record the comparison.

I Scanned, inverted and enhanced slightly in photoshop (colour added, star roundness tweaked and a little glow added to some of the brightest stars for fun)

Here she is:

Hyades 16-02.png

Here's a write up of the comparison if you're interested:

6 people like this

WOW!!! That's a fabulous observation John! Very impressive!

What an inspiration for any with binoculars to get involved in observational sketching. 

Outstanding! :headbang:

Mike 

1 person likes this

Great sketches and comparison John. I had some lovely views of the Hyades with 10x42 Leica bins from my balcony in Tenerife. They were higher in the sky there and were over the sea, so this greatly mitigated the light pollution from the resort.

Edited by laudropb
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

What an inspiration for any with binoculars to get involved in observational sketching. 

Outstanding! :headbang:

Mike 

Thanks Mike.

if it does inspire anyone I'd suggest they do it with the binos mounted. Sketching and holding binoculars is hard mate and I think the wow factor is very much due to the digital 'touching up' afterwards. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, laudropb said:

Great sketches and comparison John. I had some lovely views of the Hyades with 10x42 Leica bins from my balcony in Tenerife. They were higher in the sky there and were over the sea, so this greatly mitigated the light pollution from the resort.

I bet the views were stunning in the Leica John. 

These are my bird watching bins. They are now over 10 years old but are still the best I have used. It was also a joy to see Sirius and the whole of Canis Major as well as the clusters which are too low from my back garden.

Edited by laudropb
1 person likes this