Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help/advice needed! AZEQ5GT vs. HEQ5Pro

Not sure if this is the right thread to place this, but I hope it is.

:help:

I have recently acquired a Skymax150 OTA. I use it with an old EQ5 at the moment, but would liike to go GOTO, and I need some help deciding which would suit me best..

Right now,I am hesitating between the AZEQ5GT and the HEQ5Pro, but I am open to suggestions.

I would like do mainly visual observation, with some ocassional light AP.

I like the versatility of the AZEQ5GT, but I am not sure about the tripod.
While I sort of understand why they went with the pier solution, I suspect the pier section would enhance any vibrations. Also I am not convinced about the rigidity and reliability of the leg's tightening bolts.
On the plus side, I like the AZ mode, which I suspect I would use most of the time, and I think it is also easier and quicker to align. But if I want to do some light AP, I would need to purchase a separate polarscope, which is already included in the HEQ5Pro.

I like the HEQ5Pro too, because it seems to be a more neat package, with less wires dangling about, a more robust tripod, a built in polar scope and it is less costly. However, I have noticed when I equipped my old EQ5 with my Skymax, that most of the time the finder points downward, making it awkward to use. Than again, I suspect that would be the case with the AZEQ5GT as well.

I have also looked into EQ6 series, but decided; they would be too heavy for me, as I live in the centre of a very light polluted town and pretty much have to move out every time I want to observe. And those things are heavy.:hmh:

Anyway, I would welcome any ideas, suggestions, advices from people who have experience with one or the other (or both), or with different ones I have not considered yet.

Thank you very much in advance!:headbang:

Going to sleep so I'll reply short about the az-eq5:

I didn't encounter issues because of the pier and short legs, I have also an eq5 with a classic steel tripod. Also I never felt the need for a polar scope after I learned how to use the polar alignment procedure from the handset. And about the finder position, you can put the scope on the other side, but you should try to balance it if it's heavy. Preferably with another scope :)

HTH,

Alex

• Like 1

I don't have the AZEQ5 but rather the 6.  The AZ mode is so convenient and I can have two visitors viewing the same thing with different scopes.  I can also view/image the Sun in WL AND Ha at the same time!  I think if you are mainly a visual observer and fancy imaging the Moon or Sun then it's an easy decision.  Go for the AZEQ5.  As Alex correctly points out, you don't need a polarscope to do polar alignment when you have a Synscan handset to do it for you. The only thing I don't know is what the load limit of the 5 is in Alt/Az mode?

• Like 1

On 2/16/2017 at 22:45, moise212 said:

Going to sleep so I'll reply short about the az-eq5:

I didn't encounter issues because of the pier and short legs, I have also an eq5 with a classic steel tripod. Also I never felt the need for a polar scope after I learned how to use the polar alignment procedure from the handset. And about the finder position, you can put the scope on the other side, but you should try to balance it if it's heavy. Preferably with another scope :)

HTH,

Alex

Thank you Alex, that helps a lot!

I also gravitate toward the AZEQ5, but since my budget is limited I really want to make sore I buy a mount that suits me best.

I wonder, Is it possible to mount the head onto a classic EQ5 tripod? The polar aligning peg on my tripod has broken off so that can not intervene with the mount. I was just wondering whether the locking screw of the EQ5 tripod would fit the AZEQ5.

Thanks!

20 hours ago, Owmuchonomy said:

I don't have the AZEQ5 but rather the 6.  The AZ mode is so convenient and I can have two visitors viewing the same thing with different scopes.  I can also view/image the Sun in WL AND Ha at the same time!  I think if you are mainly a visual observer and fancy imaging the Moon or Sun then it's an easy decision.  Go for the AZEQ5.  As Alex correctly points out, you don't need a polarscope to do polar alignment when you have a Synscan handset to do it for you. The only thing I don't know is what the load limit of the 5 is in Alt/Az mode?

Thanks Chris!

I would fancy an AZEQ6 as well but it is outside my budget and too heavy for me to conveniently transport every time I want to do observing. I currently own a Skymak150 Maksutov with crayford and dielectric diagonal. it clocks about 7-8 kg that is about the half of the AZEQ5 payload capacity. So no need for the 6 series. I guess if I would use a pier extender the finder issue would not be a big issue anymore, especially after a proper alignment, since it is a goto mount.

Right now both you and Alex made good points for the AZEQ5, for which I am very thankful.

Okay, so far it looks like the AZEQ5 wins, and I also like the FreedomFind tech.

Just to spice up things a bit I have also looked into the Celestron AVX, which is a neat package, sturdy, high tripod and the handset can identify objects by a push of a button.

However, after watching some youtube videos, the thing sounds like it is very noisy when slewing, and people encountered build quality issues as well as knocking sounds.

Has anyone got any experience with that mount?

16 minutes ago, ZollyG said:

Thank you Alex, that helps a lot!

I also gravitate toward the AZEQ5, but since my budget is limited I really want to make sore I buy a mount that suits me best.

I wonder, Is it possible to mount the head onto a classic EQ5 tripod? The polar aligning peg on my tripod has broken off so that can not intervene with the mount. I was just wondering whether the locking screw of the EQ5 tripod would fit the AZEQ5.

Thanks!

I just found this Alex,

Have you had any issues like this?

Thanks!

20 hours ago, ZollyG said:

I just found this Alex,

Have you had any issues like this?

Thanks!

No, I think that the clutch in that video is not tightened enough or the mount is defect. That's how mine would behave if the clutch was not tightened.

20 hours ago, ZollyG said:

Yes, it's possible, though I wonder how you can fine adjust the azimuth when you want to polar align. In AZ mode it's not needed, but make sure that you tighten the mount on the tripod well enough so that it doesn't behave like in the video above, but because the mount itself rotates above the tripod.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, moise212 said:

No, I think that the clutch in that video is not tightened enough or the mount is defect. That's how mine would behave if the clutch was not tightened.

Yes, it's possible, though I wonder how you can fine adjust the azimuth when you want to polar align. In AZ mode it's not needed, but make sure that you tighten the mount on the tripod well enough so that it doesn't behave like in the video above, but because the mount itself rotates above the tripod.

Thanks that's great news. I was thinking that if I would drill a hole where the peg saw and drive a machine screw in it, it would work az an azimuth peg. Or buy an extension pier for clearence, which has a peg ;-)

Anyway You and Chris has made me lean more toward the azeq5 than the heq5. I will see if anyone else make any contribution in a week or two than maybe I will visit a showroom  to see them in action before I make up my mind. 

Thank you very much for your input. Very helpful indeed :-) Thank you!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, moise212 said:

Congrats and clear skies!

Just keep the EQ5 too for the moments you'll need both visual and imaging :D

Thank you very much!

That's the plan ;-)

Can't wait for the next clear sky!:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

20170310_170350.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I find mine doesn’t wobble at all but then I have upgraded the tripod. Think the standard tripod isn’t sturdy enough. I use it with either a Berlebach wooden tripod which makes it really portable but I also have EQ6 tripod woth a short pillar which has 2” legs and is almost as sturdy as the Berlebach. You need an EQ6 to EQ5 adapter to fit the AZ-EQ5 mount to the EQ6 tripod. 

45A04540-765E-471E-86FB-F899A3C9539A.jpeg

2DA7B597-6CDE-4EFB-8F2A-89FAA6975C33.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3

Zolten

First welcome from Land Down Under

I have a SW ED80 on an EQ5pro

Find serves me very well

Have also recently got the WiFi adapter

Down load the SynScan APP

Makes life easy

Sets GPS, date/time from my Android device