SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jellyfish

alan4908

First a slight aside: I quite like trees but they can be a bit frustrating when you have a target object (eg IC443) that is visible for a couple of hours, disappears behind trees for a couple of hours, reappears for a couple of hours and then finally disappears. To overcome this I've programmed ACP with my highly undulating horizon so my scope acquires other objects when others are hidden - the joy of automated imaging...:happy11:

Anyway, back to the image which represents about 13 hours of integration time - I decided to go for a LRGB image with an Ha blend in both the Lum and Red channels. I was surprised that even with a relatively long exposure on the Lum it didn't pick up more of the nebula,  so I decided to blend a higher than my normal Ha percentage into the Lum so that it would appear reasonable bright and not too red.

Alan

21. Final.jpg

LIGHTS: 20; R:10; G:10; B:19 x 600s; Ha:7 x 1800s. DARKS:30; BIAS:100; FLATS:40.

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Nice Jellyfish Alan, I have a restricted imaging area from east to south which combined with the rubbish weather means I've got several targets unfinished including the Jellyfish.

Dave

Thanks Dave - yes, the combination of poor weather and a restricted horizon does make it frustrating !

Alan

On 2/16/2017 at 19:45, laudropb said:

Very nice image. Well worth all your effort.

On 2/16/2017 at 20:02, Allinthehead said:

Nice Jellyfish.

On 2/16/2017 at 23:17, Gina said:

Nice :)

Thanks for all your comments.

It was quite an interesting object to process since the nebula is very faint in Lum but you have a very bright star next to it.

Alan

55 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

An excellent image, confident but not exaggerated. There is a very interesting addition possible if you go for an OIII layer.  It picks up an outer shell not seen at all in Ha.

Olly

Thanks for the comment Olly.

In terms of the addition, yes - I was actually thinking of adding some OIII data at some point since I think it would improve the overall effect. My only issue at the moment is the UK weather ! 

Alan 

Archived