Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binoscope?

Tony G

I've seen it done with the smaller tube LUnt 35's, or a pair of PST's. Think it's 'relatively' straightforward with these narrow tube scopes as you don't need to worry about IPD inter pupilary distance. 

Thought about doing it when I had my Lunt 35 using guide rings like in the pic below:

lunt35 binoscope.jpg

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Sounds like the sort of thing @Peter Drew might have tried, with a love of solar observing, and great skill at making both PST mods and binoscopes! :) 

I did make a binoscope from two PST's, it was very good but with the advent of PST mods to larger apertures, using binoviewers is more than adequate for using both eyes.  :icon_biggrin:

I have tried a couple of PST binoscopes are they were good but I did feel a bit restricted by the BFs

Binos with a quark can be spectacular as I personally do not like using anything less than a BF10 for bino viewing

and find that using a Barlow or even a GPC is a compromise ... however granted quarks do have internal telecentric barlows :)

Brian 

For obvious reasons it's more expensive to construct any binoscope but at the price of Ha components this rapidly escalates to the point of difficult to justify. Having used both arrangements fairly long term, IMO a larger single Ha telescope with binoviewers is a much better option.   :icon_biggrin:

Archived