SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Spotting scope

Hi guys looking for a bit of help here out tonight for a few hours before the clouds roll in slewing to first star spotting scope bang on star in middle of crosshairs but when I looked through my c11 nothing a good bit out haven't been doing anything different from last time had scope out any idea ? ?? cheers 

The spotting/finder scope probably needs realigning again, they are easily knocked out a bit. There is a big difference between bang on the crosshairs of the finder and bang on in a C11. However if the error is huge, as in several degrees out, then maybe the goto function needs investigating.

With a C11 the scope and finder will need to be very well aligned. I usually check mine every couple of months and reset them to each other. And I do not have the focal length off a C11.

A simple knock or bump could have caused a small misalignment. Even i suppose temperature flucutations = Inside-Outside-Inside-Outside.

42 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

The spotting/finder scope probably needs realigning again, they are easily knocked out a bit. There is a big difference between bang on the crosshairs of the finder and bang on in a C11. However if the error is huge, as in several degrees out, then maybe the goto function needs investigating.

Cheers peter will have to look into it a bit more to make sure goto system cheers rob ??

1 minute ago, ronin said:

With a C11 the scope and finder will need to be very well aligned. I usually check mine every couple of months and reset them to each other. And I do not have the focal length off a C11.

A simple knock or bump could have caused a small misalignment. Even i suppose temperature flucutations = Inside-Outside-Inside-Outside.

Cheers ronin it was working fine before I didn't knock the scope at all ?The joys 

When you pack up for the night and store things away, you take every care to see nothing is disturbed, however, during the time till your next session, the Astronomy Gremlins seem to get to work. When you come to check alignments you find there is often some small error, how this happens, only those little devils know. I stopped taking things for granted and do an essential spot check now before observing. Not sure whether this happens to those lucky people having an obsy and permanent set ups ? :)  

Archived