Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Peter Rosen

A Journey to Jupiter Project

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Some days ago I released a new project at animating the cloudbelts of Jupiter and the GRS.

In order to have an almost continuous monitoring of Jupiter, we contacted 91 amateurs from all around the world to ask for permission to use their images in this project.

It took a full year and thousands of hours of work to get all the pieces in place but I'm quite pleased with the results.

John Rogers, Director of the Jupiter section at the British Astronomical Association has written:

"An amazing animated map of Jupiter's winds has been released by Peter Rosen and colleagues in Sweden, portraying real observations from images by amateur astronomers over 3 months in 2014-2015. The map (in various projections and perspectives) shows Jupiter's winds in glorious detail, and this is by far the best such movie ever produced from ground-based images -- worthy to compare with the Cassini movie."

I hope you enjoy it

It is now up and running at https://youtu.be/YZc1Y662jtk

/*Peter Rosén

18 people like this

Simply stunning! :headbang:

1 person likes this

Fascinating to see the giant in motion. Wow!

Wow excellent very mesmerising in places and amazed at the amount of detail that had been captured,well done to you and everyone else's hard work.👍

Terrific video. Well done to all who participated.

A mammoth task executed to perfection, a really beautiful animation, you must be thrilled

with the result, I could watch it all night, a very big thank you.  

Fascinating video. Thanks for posting. 

John

Thank you very much for your comments.

Wow excellent very mesmerising in places and amazed at the amount of detail that had been captured,well done to you and everyone else's hard work.👍

Thank you Jonn, the amount of detail is also what made this project so difficult as even tiny mapping errors will show upp as a misalignment and double contours etc...

Interestingly, in the end, the high definition is carried along by the best images while those of lesser quality merely show up as a little local turbulence, they don't reduce the overall quality the way I was afraid they would.

A mammoth task executed to perfection, a really beautiful animation, you must be thrilled

with the result, I could watch it all night, a very big thank you.  

Thank you Ron,

my friend Göran Strand said about the same to me, that he could watch it for hours and asked me to put online the basic cylindrical map and the polar ones, just looping over and over again and that is the way that I like to watch them as well.

In my opinion, there are so many tiny vortices at all latitudes that are thrilling to follow and you get a better understanding of the dynamics of the flows. 

That's basically the ultimate scope of this video.

/*Peter R

1 person likes this

Nothing further to add really, a wonderful project and amazingly well processed and presented.

I will spend a long time viewing this over and again, it shows so much in terms of the dynamics of the systems.

Great work!!!!!

I've only just caught up with this. Really stunning and shows what can still be achieved by amateurs. I can see me referring to this for comparison when we get some decent conditions for viewing. The result is obviously the result of much  hard work for which you and your collaborators should be congratulated. Well done Peter 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By CATLUC
      Hello
      After almost two months of scarcity 1st possibility to image for 2017. Poor conditions, for proof the Moon was beside I did not even try to make a crater. Turbulence medium to high and strong humidity.
      A single image on 6 movies it will easy to do better.
      625 mm, barlow 3, filter IR 742.
      Clear skies.
      Luc CATHALA

• By David Levi
      Since getting a telescope last August I have been really keen to observe the planets. After viewing Saturn through poor skies as my first view through the telescope I have been looking forward to observing Jupiter. It has been visible in the morning for a couple of months now but I haven't felt motivated enough to get up early to see it, especially as it will be visible in the west later in the year. I've been tempted to get up early but needed the extra push to do it. I couldn't hold back any longer, however, after reading @alanjgreen 's report on his early morning observing session a few days ago. I was so enthused by it that, after checking the weather forecast, I set the alarm for 3.30am this morning and got up with the one goal of viewing Jupiter.
      The waxing gibbous moon was still in the sky as I set up in my back garden but I had planned it that way so that by the time the moon had set the telescope would have cooled down and would be ready to start observing. Jupiter would be at its meridian at about 4.30am. I was excited to see two moons and Jupiter just looking through the finderscope. It was a wow moment then to see the planet at 200x magnification using my new Pentax XW 5mm eyepiece. Jupiter was fantastically large and it's moons Ganymede, Europa and Callisto were spread out nicely to the right hand side of my view. Callisto nearer to the planet noticeable in being significantly out of the plane of the planet and the other two visible moons. The planet and it's moons were tilted at an appealing angle away from the horizontal. The tilt of the planet being noticeable not only due to the orbit of the moons but also by the light and dark stripes across the planet. The South Equatorial Belt was clearly visible with a white zone above and below it. The seeing was not that good. The edge of the planet shimmering silently. This might have been the reason why it was difficult to distinguish the individual northern belts. The north of the planet was mostly dark only occasionally showing slight thin zones between the belts. The South Tropical Belt and Polar Region were also difficult to separate. I didn't see any red spot in the South Equatorial Belt but maybe it was on the other side of the planet. Anybody know if the red spot is particularly visible at the moment? During the 2 hours that I spent observing the planet I didn't see any movement in the moons but that might be because I was constantly looking at them and therefore not seeing their gradual change. Io did not appear either, from I assume behind Jupiter, during the session.
      Now that I have had this introduction to Jupiter, I look forward to viewing it again to see the moons changing position and to observe the bands and hopefully the red spot.
    • By orion25
      Here is a frame from a space video I shot of Jupiter with Io in transit using the Orion Electronic Imager through my Orion SkyView Pro 180mm Mak.
    • By Coachella Valley Astronomy
      Finally, Jupiter is back in the night sky! Oh, how I have missed this beautiful gas giant of a planet. As much as I enjoy imaging deep sky objects, my first love will always be planetary imaging. There is just something about imaging our local neighbors that puts me in a wonderful mood. Watching Jupiter rotate throughout the night is a sight to behold, and for such a large planet it does so about every 10 hours as opposed to our 24 hour Earth rotation. This means I can watch the great red spot on Jupiter slide across the surface in a matter of hours, and I can even see the movement of its 4 brighter moons. The black dot you see in the image is a shadow transit of Europa, one of Jupiter's larger moons.
      P.S. This is my best image of Jupiter...so far
      Technical details:
      9,000 frames de-rotated in Winjupos
      Stacked in Autostakkert2
      Sharpened in Avistack2 and PS
      Celestron Nexstar 6se telescope + 2x Barlow + 24mm eyepiece and extension tube
      Celestron AVX Mount
      Asi120mc-s camera
      http://coachella-astronomy-astrophotography.blogspot.com/2017/02/jupiter-2-1-17.html

• By 1CM69
      Hi all,
      after been put off by cloud last night, I left my rig setup overnight specifically to capture Jupiter in the small window of opportunity I had from my backyard.
      Seeing was pretty rubbish with 100% humidity & I had to shoot over house roofs, that said, this is my first real capture with my new ASI224 and I am fairly pleased with the results.

Jupiter & Io [2017.01.25] by 1CM69, on Flickr

Jupiter [2017.01.25] by 1CM69, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.