SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help please...... is this a Powermate ??

Craney

Hello everybody,

Just bought this item from Astro-Buy and Sell.   Described as a TeleVue Powermate 2X.  On arrival, it has a TV box, it has a TV end cap .... but... there is no characteristic green lettering, no obvious identifier as 2X and it has a compression ring system at the end.

Is this some limited edition or an early model ?     TV do not have an email contact so I thought I would resort to the collected wisdom of SGL.

Many thanks for any info in identifying it.

Cheers,

Sean.

POWERMATE.jpg

It "looks" like one at the bottom end. But the eyepiece end is all wrong!

Can we have some pics of the eyepiece end - it looks very strange?

Here are some quick pics of mine from different angles so you can compare. Mine is three years old.

pm1.jpg

pm2.jpg

pm3.jpg

pm4.jpg

pm5.jpg

I think you can be certain that it would say "televue", if it was televue" :(

I would send it back promptly...

Alan

Doesn't look like a PowerMate to me, certainly not in original condition. The picture is on the ad though so I guess you knew what you were buying i.e. you can't say the seller hid the condition?

Give it a go!

Can the compression fitting on the end be removed? Is it possible that someone has added it in the past and the branding is hidden under the fitting? Even if that is the case were you not sent any pictures or told aboit the compression fitting before buying it? 

Here's a question.. the sellers other items such as filter wheel, OAG and Moravian camera suggest a DSO imager.. could they have adapted the PM to allow for say more inwards travel, reducing the light path etc... i'm not an DSO imager so don't really know, but the mod looks purposeful if not well executed despite the obvious scratches..  I guess it's not what a visual person would expect to see a power mate look like..

Just looked at the advert and there is nothing to suggest it has been adapted in any way from stock, I would consider having a chat with the vendor and seek clarification.

However as you bought based upon a photo of the item it may be that you might have to keep it.

Don't suppose you paid by PayPal (not friends and family) which would give you an avenue to seek a refund if incorrectly described when sold?

Thanks for the replies everybody.

To answer a few of them before I take a few pictures.

PeterCPC   Its a 2" end without the reduction adaptor for 1"1/4 seen in the usual TV adverts.

Stu      I realised it was not in perfect condition from the original photo..... it was about 1/2 price.

Ricochet   The compression fitting can be removed.  It reveals an extended thread. There is no branding.  Yes I did see the fitting in the original add, I thought it was a TV optional extra.

andyboy1970  No letter from Al I'm afraid.

Fozzie     That's a good point. If it has been re-machined post purchase then that could explain things.  I  will question the seller on this.

moriniboy   Yes,  alas that might be the case. But if described as a TV Powermate then surely that what I should have in some shape or form, and not something else.  So far nobody has positively  I.D it as  anything else, so there is hope.  I used PayPAL "goods and services"  so I should have some protection... perhaps.

Other kind contributors...thanks . I will take some pictures tonight and post them  and contact the seller.

Thanks,  Sean.

The Powermate 2" is modular unit as the photo below shows. Imagers don't use all the sections so I suspect your unit, if it was a Powermate, has been modified for imaging in some way.

Having owned a couple of 2" 2x Powermates and using them for visual, I'd say your unit might be a heavily modified powermate in very heavily used condition. My concerns are i) that it might not work for visual use, if that is what you intend to use it for and ii) it would have to be really, really discounted over the normal used price owing to the conditon and the modifications. The usual used price is around 65% of new so £190 or so in perfect order, boxed with all the original paperwork, dust caps etc.

I saw that one advertised for sale a couple of times.

tele-vue-2x-powermate-2-823.jpg

Thanks John, Billy

Being a "sky half clear kind-a-guy"  I am rather hoping the seller will tell me all about the fantastic mod he made to it.  But yes, I was a bit quick off the mark in pulling the trigger on this one, these items don't come up for sale too often ( well so I thought...alas there are a couple on various sites at the moment ..darn it !! ).

I have not tried it.  At work at the moment.  Have sent the seller an email asking for clarification.  The original advert made no specific mention of any modification, I suppose if I had more experience I would have clocked the fact it had a compression ring.  Interesting point about visual / imaging use.  Hopefully a knowledgeable seller would advise a buyer about any limitations in use.  As I intend to use it for imaging, I may < insert Hopeful emoticon> have inadvertently picked up a silk purse as opposed to a pigs ear.

Sean.

UPDATE  !!

I am now at home and have received an email back from the seller.   It was bought second hand from a "known astronomer".  He was a professional engineer and machined the top of the tube to fit a compression ring.   ( I do not know what a Power mate has normally....it looks like a single grub screw ).

So I decided to take it apart.... here are the deconstruction photo's.......  there is good news......:)

powermate 1.jpg

powermate 2.jpg

and at last under some good light ..... revealed...... the eerie green type......powermate 3.jpg

So I am happy on that front. 

Need some stars to test it out.

Sean.

Good - it certainly seems to be a Powermate underneath an extensive modification. The Powermate normally has a copper ring type compression fitting which works well but it looks as if the previous owner has decided that he would rather have a twist type self-centering type compression fitting. A bit drastic for my taste but there you go.

I hope it works well for you - the Powermate optics are certainly about the best amplifiers there are.

Cheers John.    Indeed,  I must admit my heart sunk a little when I removed it from the box.   After a bit of research, a bit of dismantling, you never know,   it may just work out 'fit for purpose'.....

Thanks for all the helpful comment everyone.  

This may be an original version.  In my dismantling photos you can see the single thumbscrew hole in the barrel where the thread cuts through. It becomes hidden when the compression ring screws in....  otherwise the thing may start to play a tune in a light breeze.

I think this is definitely a one way mod   ......   old Al Nagler won't be pestering me for the blue-prints.

Archived