Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Main scope on top of guide scope?

Hi, I am going to be buying an esprit 80 and would like to know if I can bolt it on top of a skywatcher st80 guide scope? I have seen It done the other way around so assume it would be exactly the same. The esprit 80 doesn't have tube rings so that's the only way around it other than side by side which I'm not keen on. Any possible problems? Thanks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Charl notes its normally done the other way round with the bigger/heavier OTA on the bottom, and the Esprit 80 is a lot heavier than the ST80. Problem is the Esprit has a foot mount and isn't too readily fitted with rings without a bit of work, so you may need to look at other options. 

With the above said, if you have substantial rings (CNC) on the bottom, it shouldn't matter what OTA is in them, and the Esprit can then mount on top. 

1 hour ago, Andyk93 said:

Thanks, I might have to look into a different scope then. I didn't think it would be too difficult looking for a good imaging scope around the £1000 mark. They all seem to have their downfalls

Why not just buy tube rings for it? The Esprit 80 is a very nice scope...

1 hour ago, Waldemar said:

Why not just buy tube rings for it? The Esprit 80 is a very nice scope...

You can but it would mean taking it apart to remove the foot which is bolted through the tube. I don't think the design is meant for retrofit rings over using the foot. 

WO Star71Mk11 has scope rings and not much more expensive when you budget for a flattener for the Esprit.

Also you may need small tube rings which are another £80.00 odd if the standard 90mm don't fit as not many people make them.

Dave

16 hours ago, Andyk93 said:

Is the esprit 80s finderscope stable enough to guide? It looks stronger than the evostars. I don't like the FOV with the star 71 unfortunately

It should be possible to use the Esprit finder if the end unscrews there are adapters available to convert it, if you get a sensitive guide camera such as the Loadstar.

Just need to make sure  you eliminate any flexure and mount an RDF somewhere.

Dave

It is all very well built.  I had the 80 for about a week but had to return it as the focuser was faulty, but you certainly couldn't argue aginst its quality.

The finder was fairly substantial, but I wouldn't like to say whether it would suit for guiding as the shoe only has tiny little thumb screws to hold it all together.  Great for a finder, but for a guider......hmm not too sure.

One problem also to consider is the fairly short required back focus distance from the matching FF to the sensor.  This means careful planning if using an OAG and filter wheel as, for example, you can't use the Atik EFW2 and their OAG as they won't fit.  I think Gina has posted somewhere the issues she had with hers, as you need to look at pretty low profile stuff to fit it in.

Finally you could look at what I intended to do, which is side-by-side.  Not ideal granted, but unless you look at slimline OAG's and filter wheels, there really isn't many other truly viable options, which is a shame as it's a great piece of kit.

6 minutes ago, RayD said:

It is all very well built.  I had the 80 for about a week but had to return it as the focuser was faulty, but you certainly couldn't argue aginst its quality.

The finder was fairly substantial, but I wouldn't like to say whether it would suit for guiding as the shoe only has tiny little thumb screws to hold it all together.  Great for a finder, but for a guider......hmm not too sure.

One problem also to consider is the fairly short required back focus distance from the matching FF to the sensor.  This means careful planning if using an OAG and filter wheel as, for example, you can't use the Atik EFW2 and their OAG as they won't fit.  I think Gina has posted somewhere the issues she had with hers, as you need to look at pretty low profile stuff to fit it in.

Finally you could look at what I intended to do, which is side-by-side.  Not ideal granted, but unless you look at slimline OAG's and filter wheels, there really isn't many other truly viable options, which is a shame as it's a great piece of kit.

This is my biggest problem with it. It looks like such a great bit of kit but it seems like it has major design flaws that means you have to spend more money to work around it. I'm looking seriously at the WO star71 now again. Although the 30mm image circle is pretty small, can't even use a kaf8300

3 minutes ago, Andyk93 said:

This is my biggest problem with it. It looks like such a great bit of kit but it seems like it has major design flaws that means you have to spend more money to work around it. I'm looking seriously at the WO star71 now again. Although the 30mm image circle is pretty small, can't even use a kaf8300

Agreed.  Only personally speaking having had one, I'm not so sure the shoe was the right way to go as it is really targeted at imagers, and typically we are going to want to guide.  I ended up getting the TS Optics 80mm triplet now running with a Starlight Xpress filter wheel and OAG and am absolutely over the moon with it.  It also comes with a really nice set of CNC rings.  I also have the Esprit 100, but on that they use the rings, so was able to piggy back my 60mm Altair, so the 52.5mm back focus distance isn't something I need to battle with.

The others noted above are also great I believe and each has good reviews, and I know Dave has the WO so his reviews are worth considering for sure.

49 minutes ago, Andyk93 said:

The QSI683 is all I use on my WOStar71.

Dave

HA sub from Star71 and QSI683

California-neb-005HA3.png

Just now, Andyk93 said:

Thanks for the confirmation! looks like the star71 is the best choice. I can then piggyback the st80 easily

Unless you feel like parting with more money, I had an Altair astro 60mm and Loadstar piggy backed on my Star71 which worked very nicely.

Thought I had a pic' of it but can't find one.

Never ending spending this astro imaging lark :grin:

Dave

3 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Unless you feel like parting with more money, I had an Altair astro 60mm and Loadstar piggy backed on my Star71 which worked very nicely.

Thought I had a pic' of it but can't find one.

Never ending spending this astro imaging lark :grin:

Dave

Do you have a link to the guide scope? I would prefer it to be white to match the star71. It definitely is! There is always something I need

There are several incarnations of it with various focusers and adapters fitted, when I bought mine I could only get one sort, it;s part number is, AF60STR-HFZ-1R.

Dave

Found a side by side picture with the Star71 to compare the size

Altair 60.png

Archived