Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Time lapse settings for StarParty

Singlin

I would like to capture the ambience of one of my observing sessions with my Canon 600d and 10mm lens.

I was thinking of doing 25 sec exposures but I am not sure what interval time I would need.

Any tips?

Regards,

Simon

One approach to working out the interval is to start at the end... how long a final video clip are you after? Let's say you want 30 seconds. So, at 25 frames per second you will need 750 pictures. If each pic is 25 seconds, the total time required to gather the required pics with no interval between shots would be 18,750 seconds or 5 hours 12 minutes. That might well be enough, so my guess is that you have no interval at all! You can of course alter the variables (exposure time and frame rate) to change the video clip length.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing the final video.

Yes, perhaps your best option is to operate at 1600 ISO and shoot 15 second exposures with no interval and then put the time lapse together at a frame rate of 15 fps. That would give a 24 second video clip which should work well.

Good luck!

Oooo, nice sky! That has worked well. What settings did you use in the end? The clip looks like it has quite a low frame rate, what happens if you up it to 25fps? I know it will be shorter, but the sky movement will be much smoother. I hope the session was enjoyed by everyone. Also, I was trying to work out what you were imaging - M42 or The Horsehead?!

Nice place to do some observing!!! I've done some timelapses at star parties and I either go for 25sec exposures at ISO1600 with an interval of 27 seconds (using a 70d) or alternatively 20 seconds at ISO3200 with an interval of 24 seconds using a 6D - the 6D is better with noise at ISO 3200). Trouble is it really depends where you are - timelapses at the SGL star parties can be shorter as the non star stuff is more visible, at Kielder for example I need to keep them long to pick up the people as it's much darker.

The moon of course changes that all..

James

PS I too, as per PhotoGav, would try for a shorter but faster moving clip :)

I prefer the 24fps version, much smoother (well, the star movement is). But, thats just my personal preference.. sometimes it would be nicer to have the stars move much slower which if you maintain approx 24fps can be done by having shorter exposures, say 10-15 seconds with say a 12 or 17 second interval. I've always found my images too noisy though as I have to bump the ISO right up.

A half moon helps - you can do shorter exposures and the stars still show up :)

Edit: And of course, only you can judge which captures the ambience correctly :)

Archived