Narrowband

Two Sessions, 13/14 Feb 2017 - Clusters, Luna, Jupiter

cloudsweeper

Early evening the 13th, I viewed a number of familiar objects, including Orion's Open Cluster NGC 1981 comprising a number of bright stars mainly in the shape of two capital Ys, quite pleasing.  Then a new one, the Christmas Tree Open Cluster part of NGC 2264 in Monoceros - about a dozen stars on view, with one brighter one at the centre, very end.  (No sign of the Cone Nebula at the other end - sky quality poor.)

Then 3.30am the 14th.  Jupiter's moons were all to one side (east) in a slight zig-zag formation.  Not much else on show, being swamped by the Moon, gibbous, waning, 87%, so a good opportunity to study a clear part along the terminator.  Low mags views (x48, 68) were very sharp, and framed the Moon nicely.  Less panoramic, but equally crisp were views at x85, 113.  It was still sharp up to x203, but only the terminator was clear, and vibrations were becoming an issue.  At x303, focusing was critical.  So - back to x113, and I concentrated on Mare Crisium, cut in half by the terminator.

Crater Cleomedes to the north was all in shadow, but the floor of MC was well lit, showing the arc of four craterlets, including Peirce and Picard.  That arc continued past MC's rim to the small crater Tisserand and the larger Macrobius.  

What a treat the Moon is!  When she stops you from seeing much else, her own myriad and changing delights are there to enjoy in the kind of detail other objects do not offer to visual observers!

Doug.

(8SE used.)

Great report, I always admire anyone getting up in the early hours!

I had a quick look at Jupiter and the moon at about 1am on the way up to bed, through the window with a 10*50 monocular - (not a set up I should admit to!).

I couldn't tell where Jupiter's moons were but on our moon mare crisium was perfect lit from the side and looked like a huge crater rather than a sea. I don't often see the terminator lit from the east - everything around it looked different.

1 hour ago, laudropb said:

Very nice report. Got up early morning for a look at Jupiter, but made a quick return to bed as there was total cloud cover.

Thanks, John.  Cloudless here for a change!

I did well with Jupiter - love the way the moons constantly change.  One of these days, instead of being more or less in a line with the planet, I'll get to see a couple "above/below" one another.

Doug.

Nice report. Had my first session for almost 11 months last night. Stayed up until the moon and Jupiter was Clear from my garden.

You are so right about observing the moon, so much to see at almost any phase.

rune

Thank you Doug. :smiley:

Quite depressing really. A combination of work & weather (and other things in life) has made it difficult to get any observing time whatsovever..

Last Nights session was really Nice therapy.  Venus was surprisingly good With maybe 1/3 phase and just a tiny hint of atmospheric CA. Maybe the first time I`ve appreciated observing this planet  through a telescope. I was again unable to see any hint of color on Uranus. It appear just grey to me.

Also spent some time With my usual clustertargets: M35, 44, 35, 36, 37, 38, 45 and the double cluster. (using 8" dob and ES20mm 100.)

Finished off the session With the Moon. Always fabulous!

Rune

1 hour ago, Pondus said:

Thank you Doug. :smiley:

Quite depressing really. A combination of work & weather (and other things in life) has made it difficult to get any observing time whatsovever..

Last Nights session was really Nice therapy.  Venus was surprisingly good With maybe 1/3 phase and just a tiny hint of atmospheric CA. Maybe the first time I`ve appreciated observing this planet  through a telescope. I was again unable to see any hint of color on Uranus. It appear just grey to me.

Also spent some time With my usual clustertargets: M35, 44, 35, 36, 37, 38, 45 and the double cluster. (using 8" dob and ES20mm 100.)

Finished off the session With the Moon. Always fabulous!

Rune

Yes, Rune -  I also took in Venus, M42, C50, M45, and M35.  The others you named are great favourites too!

And I've yet to detect any colour in Uranus or Neptune.

Keep enjoying the therapy!

Doug.

Archived