Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bit of a long shot here

JamMac11

New to Astronomy here and I'm struggling to pin point my objects in the sky.

I'm trying to figure out a good start point that I can star hop from.

I'm from Scotland, Glasgow (northern hemisphere) and on a clear night, to the naked eye anyway, there is not a lot of good start points.

However, there are 3 stars in the south (or objects or something I'm not sure) in a row that are really bright. I'm wondering if someone can identify them for me and I can start from there.

I understand 3 stars next to each other is a terrible example but I'm hoping someone out there will know what they are...

Sounds like Orion's Belt Stars, Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka These would be a great start!

Can I suggest that you download the free planetarium software 'Cartes du Ciel' as this will help you identify the many stars that are visible to you and these will be your guide to finding more objects. It would also pay you to buy the book 'Turn Left at Orion'.

Depends how far apart you're talking... possibly Orion's belt. Betelgeuse and Aldebaran are both orangy coloured.

south.jpg

Get yourself Stellarium or Sky Safari or similar - you can point at the sky with a smartphone and it will show you where you're looking, or just use a PC.

Good video on youtube here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAqwEpPP0do&t=102s

You can judge distances in the sky with this method:

anglefingers.jpg

Worth working out what you're looking at... ;) Let us know.

Previously you posted that you were 'studying' astronomy.

3 stars in a row would likely be almost on page one.

If I sound negative, I'm not, most times it helps with a learning curve when we have to actually do some research and then go from there, rather than seeking an immediate fix.

but the guys above have given you the most likely answer.

1 minute ago, RichM63 said:

Previously you posted that you were 'studying' astronomy.

3 stars in a row would likely be almost on page one.

If I sound negative, I'm not, most times it helps with a learning curve when we have to actually do some research and then go from there, rather than seeking an immediate fix.

but the guys above have given you the most likely answer.

Yeah mate, literally just started. As I said in another reply above, I had a feeling it was Orion's  belt. Being a Glaswegian comes with its downside weather wise, it's always cloudy or raining.

Wishing you the best of viewing conditions. Don't worry about 'old gits like me' my old mum 'states' I'm grumpy.

Best thing to do is to learn a few basic naked eye constellations and give yourself a chance at identifying what is what in areas of sky.

(ps my mate over at Jaguar always makes note of his Glaswegian weather :( )

Hi, JamMac. Yeah, learning curve is what it is.

Look at the sky and stars, of course (and please believe me when I tell you I know how difficult that can be in Glasgow ?), but you can get a fix on what's up there just by going online - or by downloading free, or free-ish apps. Stellarium or Sky Safari are the big boys. Just by having a gander at these apps you'll know what's around and where.

Just think of the kick you'll get when, as a cloud passes and you see a star, you tell your pals what it is. On second thoughts, 'the kick' might not be the best way to put it.

Above all, have fun finding out. ??

Star gazing from Glasgow is never going to be easy. Clear skies are at a premium and the light pollution is horrendous. But it can be done so do not give in. Get a pair of 10x50 binoculars. They do not have to be expensive. You will be amazed at how much more you can see. Try to find a darker site, shielded from the worst of the street lighting. I live in Lenzie, so the skies are a bit darker but not great. Google the Astronomical Society of Glasgow. They have viewing nights where you can go along and you will receive lots of advice and get a chance to look through some telescopes.

Archived