Jump to content

Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

New (to me) SW 200p hopefully coming


 Share

Recommended Posts

Hopefully, if all goes well, there's a SW 200p dob soon to join the fold :) 

I'll keep my 130 as a grab and go, and I can transport that up to my parents on the NE Lincs coast as the night sky up there is cracking. It was also a Christmas pressie from Mrs Daz, so probably a bit too early to sell it!

I'm hoping that there will be a significant difference..........

Daz

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Should be a difference  between the  130 once correctly setup and if your skies are better on the NE Lincs coast, the scope will perform even better, easily transportable in a car.
Mine works well enough from my back garden, have seen a stunning crystal clear image of Jupiter, with a Moon transit shadow, and can just make out the  very tiny smudge of  M31.
Taken to a darker site,  M31 fills the eyepiece, the difference is stunning,  questioning, how can the scope be so different? Its all down to the conditions, get those right, and the 8" is a great scope. In-fact ANY scope will work better if correctly setup and used from a darker site than your present site, unless you already have the darkest site.

Edited by Charic
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks guys.

Got to finalise the courier as it's in Scotland and I'm in Hampshire :shocked: but fingers crossed we should be good to go. 

1 hour ago, triton1 said:

Congrats a very capable scope should have years of enjoyment from it

Thanks Triton. 

18 minutes ago, Charic said:

Should be a difference  between the  130 once correctly setup and if your skies are better on the NE Lincs coast, the scope will perform even better, easily transportable in a car.
Mine works well enough from my back garden, have seen a stunning crystal clear image of Jupiter, with a Moon transit shadow, and can just make out the  very tiny smudge of  M31.
Taken to a darker site,  M31 fills the eyepiece, the difference is stunning,  questioning, how can the scope be so different? Its all down to the conditions, get those right, and the 8" is a great scope. In-fact ANY scope will work better if correctly setup and used from a darker site than your present site, unless you already have the darkest site.

I haven't got the darkest skies unfortunately where I live due to an atomic weapons establishment about a mile away, however we still get a fairly good night sky. At my parents house it is much darker, so I am looking for a big difference. 

The one I'm hoping to get has a black tube on which it pivots. How does this break down?

Daz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Daz69 said:

The one I'm hoping to get has a black tube on which it pivots

Do you have a pic? Not sure if we have the same scope from your description! Unless you getting the collapsible variant.
Sky-watcher to my knowledge make two 200P telescopes, the Skyliner (Dobsonian) and the Explorer ( Equatorial)

Edited by Charic
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok. The 'tube' you see  is the Tensioner handle.

One each side. used to lift and carry the scope, and to tension the pitch control, so the scope stays in position when positioned.
We do have the same scope. The handles just unscrew, put them aside, then lift the tube from the bearing seat, and place the tube in a duvet or similar to cushion the travel whilst in the car, the base can go in the boot or like me. front seat!

Edited by Charic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, SyedT said:

The 200P is a great scope, I'll never forget my first look at Saturn and Jupiter with it. :)

I hear and read some good reviews. Thanks.

Was wondering how this would work in a home obsy if I was to build one? Would it fit on a pier if I get tube rings and a mount? Will need steps to reach the EP :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Daz69 said:

I hear and read some good reviews. Thanks.

Was wondering how this would work in a home obsy if I was to build one? Would it fit on a pier if I get tube rings and a mount? Will need steps to reach the EP :)

I don't see why it wouldn't fit, although I don't have any personal experience of having an observatory. You're right though, you would end up needing steps to reach the EP, and the positioning can be quite awkward; however, you can always loosen the rings and adjust the position. You'd also need sufficient clearance between the pier and roof to allow the scope to swing around without hitting the roof as it's a decent-sized scope. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SyedT said:

I don't see why it wouldn't fit, although I don't have any personal experience of having an observatory. You're right though, you would end up needing steps to reach the EP, and the positioning can be quite awkward; however, you can always loosen the rings and adjust the position. You'd also need sufficient clearance between the pier and roof to allow the scope to swing around without hitting the roof as it's a decent-sized scope. 

Thanks for reply. It's only a thought at this stage. If I did build one, it would have a roll off roof so I'll have the complete sky. Probably would have drop down sides to 2 aspects as well, or half of the 2 sides would slide with the roof. 

LOL, didn't think about sliding it down the rings :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Daz69 said:

If I did build one, it would have a roll off roof so I'll have the complete sky.

I have very little access to my sky, due to screening, and what with  street lighting, I would want to limit the amount of sky I could see, preventing even further,  light pollution from entering the 'dome' so I would opt, If I were building ( I am looking for a solution) a domed roof with a slit, just wide enough to accommodate the Skyliner.

Edited by Charic
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Daz69 said:

LOL, didn't think about sliding it down the rings :D

You don't slide it up and down the rings (unless perhaps of you are changing from a really light to really heavy ep) as that would mess up the balance. As an eq mount arcs across the sky it rotates the ota and so you have to loosen the rings and rotate the tube to bring the focuser back to a useable position. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Sorry to hear that Daz. :sad:

Yes, I wasn't happy with it either. Think I'll buy from FLO or similar now so this sort of thing won't happen again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's on it's way! It's a SW 200p Explorer, but doesn't have a tripod. Paid £120, but I'll make a Dob base for it now until I can afford a HEQ5. Parcelforce says that it'll be with me tomorrow! Just got to tell the wife............ If I'm not seen again, please inform the authorities, and can someone come and feed my birds please? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Charic said:

....only half the scope! The Mrs won't even notice? he he!
Best of luck, and I hope the scope arrives safely. 
Do remember the two 200P Skywatchers are different with respect to their focal length and focal ratios.

It's an f/5 which is the same as my 130. Think the Skyliner is f/6? Just checked the tracking on the parcel and it's on the truck. What I didn't factor in was that the Mrs is off today, they must have a 6th sense!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.