sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

BBC4 SKY AT NIGHT

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished watching it.  I want a job in the  Gran Canaria Obs. Sweeping the floor will do .

Chuffed to get my suggestion (the Waterfall Nebula) chosen!

Maybe it's time to get the ultimate astronomy upgrade. A one way ticket to the Canaries.☺

I caught it too, one of the rare occasions I've been allowed to flick through the channels! :)

Yes it was very good.

All you imagers could learn something from how quickly they knocked up that multi spectral galaxy image!! And they didn't even post on SGL for advice! :):)

I've been to Tenerife many times and can confirm that the sky is not that good that often at sea level. A perennial  low level haze trapped below an ever shifting if not ever present layer of stratocumulus clouds can make it hard going although the cloud layer often melts away after sunset.

That's the cloud layer that the observatories look down on. So I'd recommend a car for stargazing trips to the Canaries.

• Like 1
On 16/02/2017 at 19:06, Davey-T said:

Divide it by the cost of mount, scope etc = £ :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: a minute of use.

Dave

Having ordered the Mesu 200. And since ordering, counting the actual number of nights available with clear skies....Its beginning to look very expensive hobby:ohmy:

On 16/02/2017 at 19:06, Davey-T said:

Divide it by the cost of mount, scope etc = £ :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: a minute of use.

Dave

Tell me about it.  A MESU 200, TEC140, FSQ85 and CCD + additional gear like guiders, PC, obsy etc I reckon I have £20000 worth easily.  What other hobby could you sanely spend and justify that sort of money and use once per month?  Exactly!

Still not taken a single sub with my MESU in three weeks I've had it.  Nighttime cloud is endless this winter where I live in Nottingham. I've never known anything like it. i was surprised to see how low Orion is in the evening now, we've almost completely missed it this year.  Sad because I wanted to put some time in on The Horsehead Nebula this winter.  It has been hopeless.

Edited by kirkster501
  • Like 2
19 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

What other hobby could you sanely spend and justify that sort of money and use once per month?  Exactly!

Once a month and for only a few months of the year at that....

Even in the "dry" south east we've had fog and 90+% humidity for all winter it seems. Even without fog it's been endless cloud. I had been looking forward to winter, thinking that it couldn't be as bad as the autumn, but it's been worse if anything.

No longer looking forward to anything, just take whatever clear nights happen.

5 hours ago, DaveS said:

No longer looking forward to anything, just take whatever clear nights happen.

Yep, that is my take as well.  Let's hope things will pick up. 

I am not a moaner at all by nature but sometimes it is so incredibly frustrating when you have new kit and want to learn how to use it and the clouds never end.  Especially when the Sun shines in the day and it immediately clouds over at night.

• Like 1

Having had a good belly-ache over the weather the sky's clear! Amazing! I've set up to get [OIII] subs on the Rosette, despite being knackered after having my goods back from store and unpacking a multitude of boxes.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Tell me about it.  A MESU 200, TEC140, FSQ85 and CCD + additional gear like guiders, PC, obsy etc I reckon I have £20000 worth easily.  What other hobby could you sanely spend and justify that sort of money and use once per month?  Exactly!

I do know the answer, having tried it briefly many years ago. Motor racing...

Olly

• Like 1