SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion Optics (UK) f4.5 8" Newtonian - First Light.

philsail1

"Zanes,"

I think the "M" stands for "manual" which means that you will move your scope by hand control knobs on the mount.

"You will enjoy the bright and crystal clear views of everything you observe through your Orion Optics scope."

Regards,

philsail1.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Phil - just caught up with this very interesting thread - thanks for reporting all the ins and outs of your new OO OTA. Of course, we now learn that you're going to sell the Skywatcher, but coming back to the image comparison, was there any discernable difference in splitting double stars ?

Rgds

Hello "Albed0.39,"

Both scopes split double stars with ease. The only differences I detected was that the Orion has a bit more "Coma" or distortion at the extreme edges of it's field of view, (but its wider feild of view makes it a bit easier to find things in the night sky). Also, stars in the centre of the field of view do seem to be a little bit sharper - but due to the shorter focal length the magnifications used are lower in the Orion (with any given eyepiece).

Regards,

philsail1

I've actually got the f/6 on order.

I assume the skywatcher was also f4.5? That is not the result I was hoping for :(

The Skywatcher was an F/5.

I used to have a Skywatcher 8" dobsonian which was F/6 - it performed extermely well for a £200 scope :D

Please post a report of your OO scope when it arrives :) - do you have a delivery date for it ?.

John

Archived