Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

philsail1

Orion Optics (UK) f4.5 8" Newtonian - First Light.

31 posts in this topic

"Zanes,"

I think the "M" stands for "manual" which means that you will move your scope by hand control knobs on the mount.

"You will enjoy the bright and crystal clear views of everything you observe through your Orion Optics scope."

Regards,

philsail1.

Phil, Cheers, I thought it would be something along those lines

Hi Phil - just caught up with this very interesting thread - thanks for reporting all the ins and outs of your new OO OTA. Of course, we now learn that you're going to sell the Skywatcher, but coming back to the image comparison, was there any discernable difference in splitting double stars ?

Rgds

Hello "Albed0.39,"

Both scopes split double stars with ease. The only differences I detected was that the Orion has a bit more "Coma" or distortion at the extreme edges of it's field of view, (but its wider feild of view makes it a bit easier to find things in the night sky). Also, stars in the centre of the field of view do seem to be a little bit sharper - but due to the shorter focal length the magnifications used are lower in the Orion (with any given eyepiece).

Regards,

philsail1

I've actually got the f/6 on order.

I assume the skywatcher was also f4.5? That is not the result I was hoping for :(

The Skywatcher was an F/5.

I used to have a Skywatcher 8" dobsonian which was F/6 - it performed extermely well for a £200 scope :D

Please post a report of your OO scope when it arrives :) - do you have a delivery date for it ?.

John

Will do, although I have nothing to compare it to. Hopefully I'll find time to take some piccies and do a bit of a write up. Estimated lead time was about 4 weeks, will be going to the factory to pick it up!