Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1960s Newtonian project

Spent all day in the boiler/storage room at the school today, working on the scope. I now have the camera, the Baader focuser and a red dot finder, along with a beautiful re-coated primary.

First I made a somewhat agricultural wooden frame to hold the scope during painting and fitting. Took about four hours.

IMG_3113.thumb.JPG.231fba6dde06913f8a80fcc43fbecb7a.JPG

Then I made a template and started to enlarge the hole for the new Baader focuser (which is superbly engineered by the way). Lots of drilling!

IMG_3112.thumb.JPG.b9f7710e6b7839bbda2710b8f72d88d1.JPG

And finally I managed to get a coat of back paint on the frame.

IMG_3114.thumb.JPG.04603807ae91f4b0ae28c245577dc36e.JPG

Pushing hard to get this project up and imaging in the new few weeks.

Gin and tonic now I think...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Torque Measurements November 2017

Eventually I want to fit a RA drive to the telescope, but it's going to have to be bespoke. First step is to characterise the torque throughout the rotation, with the scope pointing forwards and reverse. It's a bit uneven, but that's probably a result of being 52 degrees inclined (and plain bearings).

IMG_3187.JPG

Max torque plot.jpg

• Like 1

Today's job is to make a go-kart for the 'scope...

For health & safety reasons (climbing/falling) we're having to detach and move the main tube indoors when the scope's not being used. I've tried this with a sack barrow, but it's too big and is on the verge of dropping. So it needs a go-kart (and by the way, the Met Office said it was going to be sunny today didn't they? Easy life...).

Watch this space...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Spores on the primary mirror!

After a long period of storage in the school (COVID of course) the primary has some spores of fungal growth on its surface. 
Any advice about cleaning this would be gratefully received please!5E06BC74-1CB6-480B-8D68-4C8D1BBFAAB6.thumb.jpeg.553fd67599b5ab34f2ef74bd91b60ad2.jpeg

• Sad 1