Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nb_dso.jpg.eb6cd158659331fd13e71470af6da381.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
LukeSkywatcher

Partial Lunar Eclipse.

LukeSkywatcher    7,394

I just learned that there will be a partial lunar eclipse tonight. It will be visible from about 11pm. Its cloudy here with a chance of snowballs, so i am not holding my breath.

Best of luck to anyone who glimpses it, but looking at the weather for the UK and Ireland.....i dont think many people will get to see it.

ecuador    169

It is not partial, it is penumbral, which is a much less obvious type of eclipse as no part of the moon will darken significantly. Some people don't even notice it.

• Like 1

LukeSkywatcher    7,394

Ah ok !!!!!!!!!. I'm just going on what the local news is saying. Wouldnt be the 1st time they get details of an astro event wrong. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Penumbral eclipses are about as exciting as a thin cloud sitting over part of the Moon and look about the same.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher