Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horsehead

Ishan Mair

Widefield horsehead and Flame nebula from the last new moon. There's been endless tinkering over this one. Its been 15 days and more than half a dozen attempts and I am not sure I've settled on to it. Getting obsessive about extracting every last bit out of the image? :confused2: I'm pretty happy with it now as it was a small amount of data using unmodified dslr.

18 x 5 min lights full calibration with Canon 1100D
Skywatcher 130 PDS on HEQ5 Mount Pro
Orion SSAG Guider on 50 mm guidescope
Baader MPCC III.

HH_and_Flame_with_Darks_clone2.jpg

Thanks gnomus. At the end of the routine workflow, I had to select the HH first and then the flame using PI equivalent of "color selection". I played with it in the Lab mode and got this version. Pinkish hues around the HH are still bugging me:help: .

• 1 hour ago, swag72 said:

I like the colour in the flame and the data looks good...... My retina's though have been burnt out by those spikes :D  I know that you can't do anything about them with that scope.... but Oh my goodness, they are huge :D 

:headbang: I wish there was something to do about it. But Sara if you are still alive after being cut but my star spikes, take a look at this wonderful image of the same region by another astrophotographer Bares : http://bares.altervista.org/nebulose/434.html 

CAUTION: THE SPIKES ARE LARGE ENOUGH TO HURT THE EYES OR CUT FROM  A YARD AWAY :icon_mrgreen:

Archived