Attaching DSLR straight to EQ mount

I have a Canon 60D and I'm yet to find a telescope in my price range that suits my needs, so I'm looking at getting started with my DSLR mounted straight onto my Celestron CG-5 GOTO. I've been made aware that I need to buy a vixen-style dovetail, but I'm just confused as to how everything fits together. Looking at the top of the mount I don't really understand  how the dovetail attaches, and how it will hold the camera in place. Any help is really appreciated, thanks.

You fit the dovetail to the underside of the DSLR, I guess the problem is getting the correct bolt to go thropugh the dovetail that has the same thread as a DSLR - I do not think they are metric but the older UNC type - I think but only think it could be 1/4 UNC. You also will need one on which the bolt head is low enough that it does not protrude outside the dovetail. An allen head one is likely better.

First thing is to head to your local camera shop and ask about the thread and bolt specifications.

So going to be a bit of a search round for the right item - check a couple of retailers as one or two may keep a suitable item. Does depend on where you are as I cannot tell is UK or US or elsewhere. If you find something then do not overtighten as you do not want to strip the threads in the DSLR.

I fitted a quick release plate onto the dove tail bar, the existing holes in the middle area of the bar I got where threaded as per camera 1/4-20 UNC. Not a full size tripod thread but correct for my 1100d. I have a reducing sleeve on the quick release plate as that is full sized 3/8-16. I did then need to fashion a block to stop camera twist on the bar with the weight of a lens on the quick release plate. Others mount direct with no quick release plate.

For mounting a DSLR I've always found the best option to be an L bracket dovetail. FLO does one (skywatcher) for under £20. Comes with 1/4" bolt that connects straight into the camera's tripod thread, so no need to use any additional bits (loose bolts, ball head etc) and easily handles a 300mm lens.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetail-bars/skywatcher-l-bracket-dovetail.html

Billy.

Depends how cheap you want to do the job. Cheapest - first essential acquisition, a short piece of Vixen dovetail bar, cheapest from FLO is about £13, or you could ask the membership if anyone has short piece going spare they don`t want. All you need then is a 1/4 UNC screw,  which I believe is the photographic industry standard. One of these should be available from a photographic outlet, alternatively a suitable caphead allen socket screw, preferably in stainless steel, (1/4" Whitworth should also fit ) obtainable from Ebay or local engineering stockists. It is essential that the screw is the correct length, if it is too long you will pierce the bottom of your camera. A strip of stiff leather or rubber glued to the bar, through which the screw will pass, will protect your camera base and also stop the screw falling out. Or you could go the more pricy way and adopted any of the foregoing members helpful suggestions :) 

8 hours ago, happy-kat said:

The l bracket works great on a altaz mount, will it offer the camera in a useable position on a eq mount?

That depends, fundamentally No, with an EQ, think about holding your right arm on your left hip and then giving an 'opera' type gesture to welcome the stars ending at your right hip.

The body of the camera thus framing will have rotated within your arc.

Maybe we are not concerned with this, as unless 'serious' imagers we can correct in PP. and DSLR exposures are by default shortish compared to the dedicated astro-rigs cf. Olly. 

I agree with John to a point, the simple solution is to just 'bolt it on', however I'm no fan of bolting things into expensive kit. but he does make very valid comments.

It's a question of how the OP want's to go with a stated CG-5 goto and no OTA

Archived