stargazine_ep45_banner.thumb.jpg.71f13bfceacd5e3df366d82c2b6f5f9b.jpg

I have had 2 GPs, the original ones and I don't think you can use them as alt/az but I also have an old Super Polaris which can definitely be used as an alt/az.  Capacity is about 7kg I think from memory. I'll check a GP tonight to see if it will go to alt/az if you want.

• Like 1

I've find this old thread from here. Looks like I was mistaken. Sorry Jules :embarrassed:

If you can find an old SP mount then you could be in business. You might find one for less than a GP ?

The Vixen GP is amazingly strong and will carry a 127 Meade Triplet solidly, providing its on a solid tripod or pier. I loaned a GP to my little pal Phil years ago and it held his then 5" heavy triplet like it was nothing. The mount was on hs observatory pier though.

If you unscrew the angle adjusting screws on the mount and remove the aluminium plate through which the angle adjusting screw is threaded, the mount head will tilt completely to altazimuth mode. You would then need to create some method of locking the head in that position. Peter Drew once made a metal plate for me that replaced the angle screw plate, and held the head in altazimuth.

The Polaris was designed to work in both modes without any modifications!

Mike

Jules, I'm actually experimenting with this at the moment.

I unbolted the plate which holds the alt bolt, and that allows the cam that the alt bolts push against to be moved past it and the mount to be placed in a vertical position.

So far so good. Trouble is that it is not possible to clamp the mount in this position in its current state. I need to experiment a bit to see if this is possible. If so then it may be a workable solution.

I also have an adaptor which allows a second clamp to be added to the counterbalance bar.

....to be continued.....

• Like 2

I did try this. It works, but ultimately I think it is not really a long term solution. The weight of the mount is offset from the tripod centre, and you probably end up with a fair amount of counter balance weight quite a way the other side of the axis. I did not put a scope on it because I would be interested only if I could put two side by side and I suspect it would not be very stable. Best stick to the properly designed versions!

• Like 1
Just now, nightfisher said:

It was worth a try Stu, nothing ventured and such, but with the Giro inbound this thread is some what redundant from my needs

Yep, aware of that. I had been meaning to try it for myself for a while out of curiosity so it kind of spurred me on to try it out.

• Like 1