SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Laminate for bearing

jpro747

Hi,

I have the 'sticking' problem with the Alt bearing. I read about the reccomended Formica Stardust. But I can only find it supplied as a 300x100cm sheet for £90 which is far too much. Does anyone know where I could source a smaller amount? I only need about 100x5cm.

Thanks.

Anyone?

I could order the £90 worth, take what i need and then and then cut the rest up into smaller amounts and sell on ebay to fellow astronomers if the interest is there. At the moment I can't find another solution. I'm wondering it could be my teflon pads that are the problem as they are quite worn out. 

perhaps @brantuk could help?

thanks.

I found I could order as much and as many types of edging as I wanted but only as an add-on to a worktop as they wouldn't sell it separately. I don't think "Formica stardust" is specifically necessary - just a similar, lightly textured epoxy based laminate. So if you know of a friendly kitchen fitter who's purchasing a worktop it could be cheaper ...

AndyG

Some of the B&Q stuff is a relatively soft and cheap melamine rather than hard epoxy resin based material so check it before purchase or it may wear badly - if it rolls easily into a tight coil it's too soft (or thin), conversely if it gets to a fairly large diameter coil and feels as if it will snap at any moment it's probably good! 

AndyG 

19 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Be lucky to get proper " Formica" nowadays as it doesn't lend itself to being heated and bent round post formed worktops.

Dave

That's why it's significantly more expensive. It's about half as thick as the old 1970's Formica though.

AndyG

This is the stuff I use on my 16" dob - Formica Pattern range StarDust HGP Quarry F1782 CW - see here:

http://www.idsurfaces.co.uk/c-3379-international-decorative-surfaces-f1782-stardust.aspx

It's around the same price and works a dream - see Mapstars 22" dob build thread in the DIY section. If you get some I'll split it with you happily. I need about a third but if there's no other takers I'll do 50:50 with you. :)

Archived