Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Scytale

Bushnell Falcon 10x50 - Any good?

So I've been with my current employer for ten years, and I get to choose a gift from a list of mostly uninspiring items that are generally of no use to me. One of the items is a pair of Bushnell Falcon 10x50 binoculars, which would be the obvious choice if I didn't already have a pair of Olympus 8-16x40 zoom DPS I binoculars.

The Bushnells are bigger, but will they be better? And will they be any good for astronomy?

10x50 is a good size for astronomy binoculars. I have a pair of Bushnell 12x50s and they are fine.

In general, fixed magnification binoculars perform better than variable zooms. This said, the Bushnell Falcons are inexpensive binoculars and quality is not exceptional. You usually get what you pay for, but hey, if they're free... :icon_biggrin: Personally I've never got on with Bushnell's Instafocus system. 10x50 binoculars can be easily hand-held, but you should note there is no socket to connect to a tripod on this model.

As a Freebie, why not!
At 8x magnification, the Olympus will offer the same brightness as the 10x50's,  The Olympus offering more zoom option should you require it. You won't know until you try them, but I`'m sure you will keep the Olympus.
You could always gift the Bushnell's  to someone close if they don't rise to the occasion.

Edited by Charic

I guess they are probably of a similar quality to my current binoculars, so the larger size will be an improvement. So I've decided to choose them. I'll try to remember to post what I think about them when they arrive (and there's finally a break in the clouds!)

I received these and have tried them out a few times. Honestly, I'm a little bit disappointed with them. Neither the Bushnell or the Olympus pair that I already had seem capable of focussing a star to a single point. While the view is a little bit brighter with the Bushnell, the optical imperfection seems tio be slightly worse. They also have a cheaper feel, and the lens caps are prone to falling off.

I'll hold on to them for now as a dedicated pair for astronomy, but at some point I'll be looking for a better pair.

Your Olympus is a zoom binocular. There is no such thing as a good zoom binocular. The end.

With binoculars like your Bushnell, there is minimal quality control, so the variation across the range is enormous. For a similar price 10X50, either an Olympus DPS1 or Opticron Adventurer (review on my website) are significantly better.

• Like 1