SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M42 LRGB Close up. Four panel mosaic

theo

I know there are a lot of M42 images posted here but I get the impression that most of us never tire at looking at this wonderful nebula and therefore I thought you wouldn't mind another!!

This project has been on my mind for a while as I have long wanted to image this target using my 12" Lx200acf but knew it would have to be a four panel mosaic. To be honest i generally shy away from mosaics so it was a big relief to get enough clear sky to capture sufficient data for each of the four panes.

Certainly the trickiest part was matching each of the four panels,  initially I didn't think I could get this to work and was all for giving up but perseverance paid off in the end. :icon_biggrin:

I'm pleased to tick this off my to do's at last. Hope you like the result but of course feel free to voice your opinions!!

Pete

M42.png

Now then Pete, you are the first person in a very long time to give us something new on M42 but, no question at all, you have! The sheer delicacy and finesse of dtetail is breathtaking but the large scale things like colour balance are also bang on. And as for 'seamless mosaic,' well, this is the all time great example.

Huge round of applause from me.  World class.

Olly

1 hour ago, gnomus said:

Absolutely sensational, Peter.  I'm lost for words.

Many thanks Steve. Much appreciated!!

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

It certainly did. What an Orion. Stunning detail.

Thank you!!

1 hour ago, Cozzy said:

I never tire of M42, that is a belter of an image, stunning!

Tim

Cheers Tim!

1 hour ago, swag72 said:

Wowsers Pete - That's a total beaut!!! Absolutely gorgeous! Well done :) 

Many thanks Sara, much appreciated!!

1 hour ago, PhotoGav said:

Oh yes indeed, an absolute cracker, congratulations! I bet this would print beautifully at stupid large size too!

Cheers Gav. I am intending to get some prints done, hopefully quite large as you say. I've also been wanting to get one of my images up on the wall above the fireplace so hoping this might be suitable :-)

55 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Now then Pete, you are the first person in a very long time to give us something new on M42 but, no question at all, you have! The sheer delicacy and finesse of dtetail is breathtaking but the large scale things like colour balance are also bang on. And as for 'seamless mosaic,' well, this is the all time great example.

Huge round of applause from me.  World class.

Olly

Many thanks Olly, i'm glad I could bring something slightly different to the forum on this iconic target and really appreciate your feedback.

22 minutes ago, Randalloverby said:

That's a jaw dropper, stunning work.

Many thanks!!

Hi Pete,

Beautiful picture - better than anything I've ever done.

It looks like it may have been overly sharpened at maybe 10 pixels?

There are sort of worm formations coming out - visible on the largest size.

cheers

Allan

Archived