Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Does this look like ice on the sensor ???

Skipper Billy

I don't think so. Ice on a sensor shows as blobs which grow as the ice spreads. The second image looks as if it has not downloaded correctly. It may be a hardware issue, usb loose or just a blimp in the software. Were all your subsequent images ok.

Steve

Quick update in case anyone has similar issues and comes across this thread.

Set up the camera indoors last night to see what happened when I took some darks. Perfect.

Buoyed up I set it up again in the observatory and ran some focus routines in Focusmax - perfect.

Tried a few trial long subs before the clouds rolled in - perfect.

The only think I changed was putting the camera in the airing cupboard for 48 hours and drying the desiccant tablet for an hour in the oven and then 24 hours on a hot radiator before re-installing in the camera.

So I dont know what the problem was but its cured (for now!!)

On 08/02/2017 at 11:08, sloz1664 said:

I don't think so. Ice on a sensor shows as blobs which grow as the ice spreads. The second image looks as if it has not downloaded correctly. It may be a hardware issue, usb loose or just a blimp in the software. Were all your subsequent images ok.

Steve

I know you've said you've cured whatever was the problem. But since it got progressivly worse during the night, could it have been a dew problem on your optics?

That doesn't look like ice on the sensor at all to me. I've had it happen a few times and it never has a straight edge like that. Ice on the focal reducer or sensor window wouldn't be as sharply focused.

It looks like an electrical/electronic problem. Possibly a dodgy USB lead/improperly seated lead.

Archived