Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Something at last!!

Helen

After weeks of rain and cloud (and flu) I actually managed an imaging session of sorts last night :clouds1: .

It didn't all go smoothly as the counterbalance system threw a wobbly (literally :shock: ) so I ended up just dismantling it and taking the ZS66 and weights off. So no chance to try autoguiding :lol: . But I thought I'd try something anyway. With hindsight maybe using f6.3 FR wasn't my best idea! but it was on the scope and I was keen to get going. So 45 x 45s subs of the old faithful M57 in wide-field (well, it was in a good spot, and the cloud wasn't too bad). I also tried Andromeda for the first time this year, but the 6.3FR was not the right tool for that job!

So here's the M57 shot -SVXH9 (Martin - the cheque is in the post, Tony - your kidneys are safe :hello2: )

IR blocker (?do I need this??), NS8 on wedge with 6.3FR, unguided 45 x45s subs, captured with AA, best 75% stacked in DSS and processed in elements. It looks better smaller :lol:

7738_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Helen

Seems like you have had a rough time Helen. Influenza is a horrible experience, so I hope you have fully recovered from that nasty. Apologies for reminding you of it. :oops:

Anyway, you have to be feeling a whole lot better now, that is a splendid outcome from an unguided setup. With the Imaging skies fast approaching now, (Hopefully). this must cheer you up a bit. The winter won't bother you, tucked up in your warm room there.

Well done Helen.

Ron. :hello2:

IR blocker (?do I need this??)

Always a good idea to have a filter with at least some IR block component as this will make stars tighter as there will be less IR 'splatter'. I nearly always use a Hutech IDAS light pollution filter for my imaging and this filter also has an IR block making it a great all round choice but when I don't use the filter, I always slip in an IR block filter instead.

Thanks guys :lol:

I need to have another look at the counterbalance system today. I initially had it properly set up for the ZS66 and the little Atik and it was fine. I rebalanced for the filter wheel and the H9 - which combined is significantly heavier and meant the counterweight needed moving much further forward. The counterbalance system (also inherited from MartinB :lol: ) is rather stiff at the moment (it hasn't been used for quite a while) and its not easy to adjust in situ. So when I decided not to use the filter wheel (my filters don't fit :D ) I found it difficult to move the whole weight holder backwards so just swivelled the weight - unfortunately it decided to re-swivel itself during a slew :shock: . Not good!! I think you need to get the tension just right on the nuts to hold it securely.

So today I'm going to look at getting a couple of locking nuts, and some longer replacement screws with knobs rather than having to fiddle with the allen key.

But I won't get the chance to properly test for a while as its :hello2::clouds1: here today and we're off on holiday on Monday :sunny:

Helen

Great to see you up and running Helen. That counter weight system is a tight fit. The nice thing about the weight is that it can be rotated to adjust balance in both axes but yes, it has to be screwed down tight. You could use the ZS66 with the F6.3 reducer. The H9 will frame M31 very nicely with that set up.

Thanks all. Yes, Martin, I like the idea of 3-d adjustment for the counterweights, and I think the locking nuts I bought yesterday will be easier for me to lock down.

Off on holiday to Croatia tomorrow for a couple of weeks (no scope, just small binos :clouds1: ). But hopefully some clear skies when I get back to get it all running again :hello2:

Helen

Archived