Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Stub Mandrel

Walking in the Moonlight...

...it's got me in its spotlight.

I've just walked the more enthusiastic of out two dogs. I always walk them without a torch, at New Moon there's just enough skyglow to navigate even when the sky is clear of cloud. Tonight a few days before full my moonlight shadow was strong and clear and I could (just) make out the colour of my jacket, the grass, the recycling/dog poop bin. I had no trouble seeing detail well ahead of me, effectively by moonlight alone.

From a slightly self-satisfied point of view I can't help thinking that the vast majority of people don't have a clue that away from streetlights you can still see your way around, especially on a moonlit night, and that when the moon is near full you can even make out strong colours. I remember when I was in the scouts a night playing 'wide games' at Merthyr Mawr sand dunes entirely by moonlight, running through the woods and sneaking around sand dunes.

Even at my 'dark site' in the Peak District with no moon, the stars and skyglow are enough to move around safely.

It seems real shame that so many people never experience walking around in the 'dark'.

• Like 6

Always walked our dogs through the woods at night without a torch, your eyes soon adapt even with no Moon.

Dave

• Like 1

Another Moonlight fan here too :)

Tho I don't get to experience it on walks much, in the back 'garden' it is a pure joy in the late hours when all the neighbours are sleeping ( so lights out )...that beautiful soft grey light: really is a soul-recharge. Love being followed by a moon shadow!

• Like 2

Yeah, but I made the mistake of buying a black + blacked out ML 4x4. I have so far walked right into it on 3 occasions when there was no visible Moon. (ouch/splat)

But I have to agree wholeheartedly, there is a sublime pleasure walking in the woods at 3am on a Moonlit Night, with just the light from the heavens and the sounds of the creatures going about their business.

Oddly, certain members of my family from the UK are too 'frightened' to visit, because it is too Dark and Quiet!!

Long may you continue Neil.

Best, Rich

• Like 1

Quiet a few of the local Kent villages do not have street lights, the residents decided they didn't want them installed. But at the mention of the street lights being turned off at midnight in the towns people think Armageddon will unfold.  Unfortunately the village I known live in keeps the lights on all night, but its not too invasive. I like walking back across country from one of the great local pubs, sometimes takes a bit longer than anticipated.

Had a Canadian service engineer over for some training a few years back, we were walking from his hotel through some woods to the pub, he seemed a bit on edge, halfway to the pub he asked if there were likely to be any dodgy people hanging around after dark, my response was

yes, us.

• Like 3

No street lamps is a joy for us. The only point in having a torch with you is that,  if your walk takes you on a road, you are more likely to be seen by cars and avoided.

(Also, if you drop something on the ground or need to bag the dog poo.)

I don't understand the complaints about reduced lighting in towns  (to save money). Day glow may offend some people's concept of fashion but they should just 'get over it'.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JonC said:

walking from his hotel through some woods to the pub, he seemed a bit on edge

He was probably worried about bears...

My brother knows a chap who goes to Alaska on fishing trips, he met a 14 year old who had a magnum in his belt "Does your mum know you've got that?" "She won't let me out unless I have it because of the bears!"

18 hours ago, Floater said:

Hello darkness, my old friend ...?

"I'm being followed by a moon shadow, moon shadow, moon shadow......" (great Cat Stevens!)

Stephan

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

"I'm being followed by a moon shadow, moon shadow, moon shadow......" (great Cat Stevens!)

Stephan

Yeah, Stephan, as alluded to in the OP.

But I threw in the Paul Simon/Art Garfunkel line thinking it to be another appropriate lyric. The query mark was to indicate it was a suggestion. Ain't cold text difficult?! ?

Anyhow,

... I've come to talk to you again ...

?

Edited by Floater
  • Like 2

I was thinking Smashing Pumpkins, although had a hunch it was a cover of someone else's song.

Funnily enough, the first time I realised the moon was casting shadows was while out on a stroll with a mate (both still a couple of years away from being able to get served in the local pub) who got me into the Smashing Pumpkins. We were both quite amazed to realise we were looking at shadows from the moon and they still impress me today. The moonlit landscape can be quite stunning.

I love an old Thin Lizzy song called 'Dancing in the Moonlight'

Dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

And I do love a walk on a long hot summer night... Not quite there yet though. :)

The original title was a pun on dancing in the moonlight...

Moonlight Shadow is a song by Mike Oldfield ;-)

• Like 1

Henry David Thoreau, the author of "Walden", wrote a romantic essay titled "Night and Moonlight" in a less known part of his work. It is the last chapter of the collection of several walks named "Excursions", which, in my opinion, are all well worth reading. "Excursions" can be downloaded from the commons "Project Gutenberg": http://www.gutenberg.org/files/9846/9846-8.txt

You have to scroll down almost to the end (or start from there).

Enjoy the read!

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

Henry David Thoreau, the author of "Walden", wrote a romantic essay titled "Night and Moonlight" in a less known part of his work. It is the last chapter of the collection of several walks named "Excursions", which, in my opinion, are all well worth reading. "Excursions" can be downloaded from the commons "Project Gutenberg": http://www.gutenberg.org/files/9846/9846-8.txt

You have to scroll down almost to the end (or start from there).

Enjoy the read!

Stephan

Thanks for that, I enjoy Thoreau.

• Like 1