Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet 45P more diffuse than I thought!

Well, In hindsight, I would not have set my alarm at 5am for this result. Granted, the sky is beautiful at this time in the morning but Comet 45p was a disappointment and my warm bed made it very hard to get up so early on a work day. It's supposed to be around magnitude 8 but it's obviously quite diffuse. Using EQMod and StellariumScope, I forgot to update Stellarium's TLE data for the comet so half an hour was wasted continuously adjusting positions, taking images and scratching head [Repeat]:laugh2:. Given time restraints before nautical dawn kicked in, this is just 2x 90sec exposures.  No darks or bias. Hoping things improve before closest approach.

comet45p_noise reduction_reducedsize.jpg

Well ok Bill's image absolutely blows mine out of the water. What an image! Thanks for the comparison Dave.... I think lol

22 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Surely the reward is in actually catching such a slippery customer?

Agreed Stub, sometimes when you've been doing this hobby for long enough you lose sight of the achievements. I think my disappointment stems from easily hunting down comets of a much fainter magnitude in the past. My expectations were leaning towards a pretty picture rather than an object hunting excercise. I'm rarely a morning  astronomer ?.Looking forward to well placed 41P in the spring

On 2/7/2017 at 15:33, bunnygod1 said:

A fine looking image, I think that would be quite a hard spot in a small scope.

You're not kidding, Pete. I lost a few mornings' sleep chasing the little green smudge to no avail. It's nice to see some images. Nice work, Vega! :headbang:

Reggie

Archived