Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

tomato    253

Thanks for this, I generally follow this workflow in Startools but there are some tweaks in there that I will try out.

• Like 1

mikey2000    291

I'm a big startools fan but I still got some new ideas from reading that.  Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

spillage    287

Thanks for the info. Knew nothing about binning and this has really speed up processing for me. Really has pushed me in the right direction.

• Like 1

JemC    660

Thanks for that link. :thumbsup:

was just looking at startools and wondering what would be involved

happy-kat    3,021

I like Guy's single function explanations in the startools forum goes that little bit deeper. The more I use it the easier I understand it.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By jdmgray
      Hi everyone.
      I'm currently running Linux on my laptop and just wanted to know the best stacking software is for an amateur to use.
      I tried installing registax with wine but it didn't work.
      I've tried out PIPP and didn't really get on with it.
      So far the only one I've gotten my head around is Siril by free astro.
      Would like to know what other software there is that works well on linux that is good for amateurs who have just started playing around with this. 
    • By lalou
      Newbie here. I need your help in trying to bring out the nebulosity from my M45 image. To give you a background, this image is a stack of 54x2mins exposures with 43 dark frames. This was taken in our neighborhood with quite a bit of light pollution. I already stacked it in DSS and removed the gradient (using GradientXTerminator) and tried to adjust the levels and curves and all I got was this. Hope you guys can help me on this one. 

P.S. I also attached the RAW stacked file just in case you need it as well. 
      Thanks!  
      Autosave004.zip
    • By MikeODay
      ( Edit 20 Aug: adjusted to increase brightness )
      The Fighting Dragons of Ara ( NGC 6188 )

( please click/tap on image to see larger and sharper )

Original:
      The Fighting Dragons of Ara ( NGC 6188 )

( please click/tap on image to see larger and sharper )
      Bright Nebula NGC 6188 and open cluster NGC 6193 are embedded 4,300 light years away in the Sagittarius arm of our Milky Way galaxy and can be seen with the naked eye south of Scorpius in the constellation of Ara.
      With powerful stellar winds and energetic ultra-violet radiation, massive stars sculpt the interstellar gas and dust of the nebula into wonderful shapes and cause the interstellar gas to brightly fluoresce.  
      Closer to the hot young stars of the cluster, bright blue “sunlight” reflects off the clouds of gas and dust to produce the blue reflection nebulae seenin the image.
      Magnitude +5.19, RA 16h 41m 42s, Dec -48deg 48' 46".
      Approx. 3800 light years away.
      Image details:
      Plate Solution:
      Resolution .......0.586 arcsec/px ( original full size image ).
      Rotation .......... 89.764 deg.
      Pixel size ........ 3.90 um.
      Field of view ..... 58' 41.6" x 39' 9.5".
      Image center ...... RA: 16 40 09.856  Dec: -48 41 22.50.
      Image bounds:.   
      top-left ....... RA: 16 42 10.059  Dec: -49 10 30.54.   
      top-right ...... RA: 16 42 06.489  Dec: -48 11 57.14.   
      bottom-left .... RA: 16 38 11.010  Dec: -49 10 39.74.   
      bottom-right ... RA: 16 38 11.897  Dec: -48 12 05.58.
      Telescope: 
      Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1410mm f4.7.
      Mount: Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT.
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 .
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels).
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map ).
      Capture ( 24 June 2017 ).
      12 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1/8s to 240s ) all at ISO800.
      34 x 240s + 10 each @ 1/8s to 120s.
      Processing ( Pixinsight - 19 Aug 2017  ).
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and no darks.
      Integration in 12 sets.
      HDR combination
      PhotometricColorCalibration.

• By jjosefsen
      Hi,
      Hoping for some help here..
      Im trying to learn some basic processing in PixInsight, including the PreProcessing (calibration, registrering, stacking, etc.)
      Im using the only data I have, from my very first lights of M13, calibrated with a SUPER BIAS, no darks and flats yet.
      When doing it in DSS I get 7 images stacked and the stacked file looks OK.

Switching to PixInsight it goes horribly wrong after stacking, and the stacked picture looks like the attached.
      I have done the whole process in two different ways, but get the same basic result.
      1. Doing all the steps manually: Calibration, Debayering, SubFrameSelection, StarAlignment, Stacking.
      2. Doing everyting with the BatchPreprocessing script
      I yield the same result, its like the subs aren't properly aligned, even though the process has eliminated A LOT of bad frames (from 26 to 5).

Link to zip with the 5 registered light: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sj2ytaa00u5qlap/GREAT CLUSTER_LIGHT_45s_400iso.zip?dl=0

Hope someone can give me some pointers, none of the tutorials I have been following explains why this can happen.

Thanks in advance stargazers!