Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

johnfosteruk    5,465
47 minutes ago, colin2007 said:

Will the eclipse be readily visible to the naked eye or will I need a scope to observe the shadow?

It should be but it is going to be very subtle. 

Edited by johnfosteruk
  • Like 1

colin2007    106
1 hour ago, johnfosteruk said:

It should be but it is going to be very subtle. 

Thanks for that johnfosteruk

Weather doesn`t look good here for Friday in Essex. In fact snow is forecast. Looks like the eclipse could be clouded out for me. Was thinking of perhaps doing some naked eye sketches of the event if it is clear.

Fozzie    1,125

Im actually being forecast for clear after 12 and 50% cloud from 20:00 onwards... which says to me I might have an actual chance to fire off some frames, and see if I can catch the phasing...  Be nice to actually get out with a scope as opposed to a umbrella!

ghostdance    924
1 hour ago, spaceman_spiff said:

If it's clear ill be out with my Mak!

:happy7:

If it's raining, I'll be out with my mac too!

:D

( er, I'll get my coat...no, really....)

Edited by ghostdance
  • Like 4

spaceman_spiff    320
6 minutes ago, ghostdance said:

If it's raining, I'll be out with my mac too!

:D

( er, I'll get my coat...no, really....)

I set you up for that!

ghostdance    924
30 minutes ago, spaceman_spiff said:

I set you up for that!

And I thank'ee kind sir ;)

Was just irresistible!

Edited by ghostdance
  • Like 1

John    17,077

Penumbral shadow starting to show quite clearly now. The moons disk seems darker across it's NE limb.

• Like 4

andrew63    1,043

Yes, it's worth a look. Had a few views between the clouds - naked eye and binoculars. Although subtle, the shadow is certainly noticeable 

andrew

• Like 2

johnfosteruk    5,465

While capturing data for a time lapse in observing naked eye and with bins and it's getting as pronounced in vis as it is on screen now. 

ghostdance    924

Total cloud here, so no Mak ( or indeed mac ) for me and no penumbral treats :(

I look forward to seeing any images by the fortunate!

bejay1957    1,279

Could just see where the Moon was by its light, but too cloudy to actually see it - I saw the light, you saw the whole of the Moon ;)

• Like 1

mcrowle    54

I thought the penumbral shadow would be too subtle, so hadn't planned to observe. However, on looking out at about 00:30, I realised the shadow was quite striking. I set up the Meade 127mm ED for a few pics. This one was 4 minutes after maximum eclipse.

Regards, Mike.

Img_5367.jpg

• Like 6

andrew63    1,043
7 minutes ago, mcrowle said:

I thought the penumbral shadow would be too subtle, so hadn't planned to observe. However, on looking out at about 00:30, I realised the shadow was quite striking.

That's a nice image Mike.  I too was surprised how well the shadow showed -  it was apparently a very good penumbral eclipse.

andrew