Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skytee 2, your experience and thoughts please...

Alan White

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Thank you both, one more question then.

Does the ADM due to its length makes the mounting feel any more stable or is it just a physiological thing?

Good question. I tried to determine this through direct comparison, but could not be sure.

I would like to think that the extra length of the ADM would make a difference, especially so for longer assemblies, but cannot honestly say that it did.

You can't go wrong with the ADM clamp, it's excellent and preferred by many. So if you like the look of it, press the appropriate button with confidence.

:happy11:

18 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Derek 

do you have a picture of your Ercole with the ADM?

Here she is...

Ercole.jpg

I think these do give a more secure grip than other types of clamp due to the increased contact surface area between the clamp and the dovetail.

Alan, those ADM clamps on my Ercole are not currently available in the UK but FLO are placing an order for some and expect to have them in stock soon. I have one on back order as I need one for another mount.

Should I be worried about my obsession with large metal clamps? :eek: 

1 minute ago, Alan White said:

Chaps, thank you again.

Now if I had been quicker on the draw iPeace then I would already have one.

Off to the internet I go, hi ho, hi ho.....

Yes it was very close. Wish I had another for you. An extension pillar perhaps? Oh well, I'm sure it's meant to be this way, and the reason will be revealed in due course.

Looking forward to seeing your new kit!

:icon_biggrin:

Mike / iPeace gave me the choice of clamps when I bought his Ercole. I chose the ADM (Vixen size) becuase I have them on my Skytee II and they work well with my big TMB / LZOS 130mm F/9.2 triplet. Having had a "fitting" session with the Ercole and the big frac I'm happy with my choice :icon_biggrin:

I'm sure the other clamps in the photo would have worked well too though. I went for what I was used to using.

I really hope you find an Ercole soon Alan. A chap in France was listing one on UKAB&S a little while back and I'm not sure it sold ?

So who's one have I got???

Havent tried the Berlebach. If their tripods are anything to go by their clamps will be good.

I do use the double knob ADM and trust it completely. I can see why they cost more that certain other makes.

Re. The mounts. If only they did the Giro in Red...... ??

Enjoy your new toys!! Using well engineered kit makes a real difference to the whole experience.

Paul

42 minutes ago, John said:

A chap in France was listing one on UKAB&S a little while back and I'm not sure it sold ?

Thanks John, sadly not showing on the search facility on the site :sad2:

43 minutes ago, John said:

I really hope you find an Ercole soon Alan.

So do I, may resort to buying new (ouch), which for me is not normal at all.

Just now, Alan White said:

Paul73, funny you should say that, one reason that has made me dither was the colour!

Splendid!! ?

That is why I went for a Moonlite focuser for my Dob. Then I chickened out and ordered a black one...

I will order a red one next time!

Got to change the Sky Tee now.

Paul

2 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Splendid!! ?

That is why I went for a Moonlite focuser for my Dob. Then I chickened out and ordered a black one...

I will order a red one next time!

Got to change the Sky Tee now.

Paul

I think if i commission a one of alt az mount i will get it anodized red :happy11: 

Having had some PM questions answered about the AYO, something that was mentioned was the mounting options.
It fits eq5/heq5 eq3 etc.. also all the vixen tripods with the ring unscrewed  and also any photo tripod. 

I have also seen on the AYO website a size and colour matched riser column, this looks good.
Awaiting availability and price for this via FLO.

Bet you can see where this is now going, can't you :happy10:

On 2/12/2017 at 10:12, DRT said:

Here she is...

Ercole.jpg

I think these do give a more secure grip than other types of clamp due to the increased contact surface area between the clamp and the dovetail.

How does this compare to ST2 when moving around? assume there are no slow motion controls so its just push around, with tension set by central screw? Interested in getting one but not completely clear on how the "move-ability" works

2 minutes ago, jam1e1 said:

How does this compare to ST2 when moving around? assume there are no slow motion controls so its just push around, with tension set by central screw? Interested in getting one but not completely clear on how the "move-ability" works

No slow motion control. There are three clutches, two of which are visible in the photo. The idea is that you have one tension clutch for each axis; adjust the tension on each axis to your preference. The clutch on top is used to lock the altitude axis while you change eyepieces, etc.

So, you set the tension using the clutches, and just move the scope around.

See the product here:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4202_GIRO-ERCOLE-Azimutale-Montierung-fuer-Teleskope-bis-15-kg.html

12 minutes ago, jam1e1 said:

I now have both the Ercole and the Skytee II. I've not had much time to compare them but they my initial impression is that they seem to both do a great job in different ways. The Ercole is very, very smooth in it's motions and can be adjusted in tension over a large range to suit user preferences, scope balance, weight etc, etc. Superbly engineered. The Skytee II is stiffer and the finish is not as polished but it still does the job very well.

23 minutes ago, jam1e1 said:

John's comments sum it up nicely. One additional comment I would make is that if you spend a bit of time carefully balancing your scope on the Ercole you can completely release all the clutches and push it around extremely easily without any resistance or drifting. 

thanks for comments everyone - helpful! :) 

so if balance scope ok at start and swap between heavy / lighter eyepieces (say 300 grams difference) then just adjust tension to stop drifting? assume becomes a bit stiffer when push?

with the ST2 my usual procedure is leave Az unclutched and free, Az mostly leave locked and move via slow motion control. Backlash is bit frustrating at times.

if interpreted right, it seems just balance, set tension and push around as required - sounds like better experience

The Skytee II has enough sticktion in the axis movements to stay put when swapping eyepieces unless there is a really big difference in weight. The Giro / Ercole type mounts are more sensitive to balance changes so I generally add a bit of tension to the alt axis during an eyepiece change then re-adjust as needed to continue tracking. In reality this takes the blink of an eye and you end up doing it almost automatically. The az axis tension generally does not need to be adjusted. I've managed to adjust most of the backlash out of my Skytee II now but there is still a little to get used to.

Archived