Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

abhoriel

Electronic focusers

Now I've got my Orion 80ED, I'm finding focusing vastly easier than it was on my Tamron mirror lens.. But it's still pretty irritating. I'm now using kstars/ekos and indi on a raspberry pi which is working nicely during indoors tests. It will also autofocus which has got me thinking..

Are there any electronic focusers around for the Orion 80ED (with the original 'Synta' single speed Crayford focuser) which I can adapt? 

The focuser looks like this one: m4iS1YnbnurXzxfT177ataA.jpg

I think the JMI one works on this, but there are a number of options of varying cost.

JMI Auto-focuser

Albeit I don't think the JMI one will work via ASCOM (PC).

Edited by RayD
  • Like 1

Yes, the myfocuserpro has been tested andworks with INDI (just choose Moonlite as the focuser type) - many build options available.

I'll 2nd. the JMI MotoFocus. I've got 2 of these on some scopes - one for about 20 years - and they work flawlessly. And Jim himself is a good guy who'd welcome any questions on what would work best for your situation.

Happy hunting -

Dave

On 2/5/2017 at 19:15, brown_rb said:

Yes, the myfocuserpro has been tested andworks with INDI (just choose Moonlite as the focuser type) - many build options available.

Robert

Are manufactured PCBs available, I know you have design files, but thought I saw something in the docs/online about purchasing a board - perhaps I was mistaken??

Thanks

John

7 hours ago, jpwilliams.com said:

Robert

Are manufactured PCBs available, I know you have design files, but thought I saw something in the docs/online about purchasing a board - perhaps I was mistaken??

Thanks

John

Yes, the details are on the site.

Thanks, found the "To Order PCB" text file, was hoping they'd be available singly from you, which I suppose raises the question, would anyone (UK based) want to go thirds on an order?

John

Yeah, I'm in! I have one breadboarded right in front of me at the moment which looks like a coronal mass ejection of jumper wires, would be nice to do a PCB version.

Ralph

On 3/10/2018 at 10:23, rogmet said:

Yeah, I'm in! I have one breadboarded right in front of me at the moment which looks like a coronal mass ejection of jumper wires, would be nice to do a PCB version.

Ralph

This one ?  DRV8825HW203-M-MT-F-BT seems to have all the options.  Showing as €31.02 for three, so say £11 posted inc paypal fees? PM me details and I'll order a set.

John

I'd be pleased to make up the third third if you still need one.

James

PM sent, excellent!

Now just need to make an effective method of attachment to the underside of the focuser.... I'm almost convinced that a 3D printer is a rational purchase to finish off a small, cheap focuser project.

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

I'd be pleased to make up the third third if you still need one.

James

Hi James - certainly, I'll PM you details.

Thanks

John