Free Rider - WO Star 71 and Horsehead

gnomus

I do not have a 'dual rig' in the usual meaning of the word.  I have a 'dual-purpose' set up.  My main telescope is an Esprit 120.  On top of that I have bolted my Williams Optics Star 71 Mk I.  I have not aligned these.  Sometimes my main target will be something in the Esprit and other times the WO 71.  When I shoot through the Esprit, occasionally there is a reasonable framing through the WO 71.  I have been trying to gather Ha of a portion of the Horsehead nebula through my Esprit 120.   Whilst this was running, I captured Ha through my WO 71.  It is not completely straightforward.  First off, because I use an OAG the Esprit focusing runs can wreck the guiding and lead to lost subs via the WO 71.  Secondly the Esprit might want to do a meridian flip mid-way through a WO 71 20 minute exposure.  And finally, when it does flip the framing in the WO 71 changes significantly - so much so that I have to crop out around 20% of the stacked frame.  

Nevertheless, I am getting pretty much 'free' (or, if you prefer, 'bonus') data from the WO 71, since this was not my main target.  

Imaging has been a challenge this last month.  Indeed, despite going out every night that the weather allowed, I only managed 5 hours and 40 minutes of Ha between 2 January and 4 February.  (I got 8 hours of Ha through the Esprit - that can be found here.)

So, this is:

• Williams Optics Star 71
  • Chroma 3nm Ha - 17 x 20 minute subs
  • Moravian G2-8300
  • Heavily cropped

At this rate, I should get the colour done some time in April.  

Morav_Horse_P1x1800.jpg

5 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

That's lovely, tight stars and plenty of detail especially for a 'free' image. Where's the Esprit data or have I misread and you weren't running the Esprit for this session?

Thanks Steve.

I am still working on that.  I didn't especially want to post up mono images - I wanted to post up the full colour stuff.  However, this month has been so unproductive that I thought I should do something.  I'll maybe stick the Esprit data up afterwards.  

Incidentally, what do you reckon is the minimum RGB (and Lum), I might get away with?  I'm itching for a change of target. 

Just now, MrsGnomus said:

I suppose we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Damn.  That would have been a better title for the thread .... if only we were still talking to each other ...

11 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

You two haven't fallen out again surely :icon_biggrin: ? Maybe it's a good thing that Jane supports my astronomy but doesn't take part!

We have taken our lead from this eastern mystic - https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2509206/father-of-three-refused-to-speak-to-his-wife-for-20-years-because-he-was-sulking/

Stunning detail. The horsehead appears to have a cross engraved on its neck? I also like the nodules a short distance NW of the Horsehead.

I am saving for a 3nm HA Astrodon so your image has heighten my urge to buy one before another price increase!

That is a roaring success. Very nice indeed.

How much for the LRGB? I suggest 4 hours per colour and 12 hours luminance. You won't go wrong with that. :evil4::evil4::evil4:*

If it's any consolation we have had a scrapper during this new moon. The Christmas dark time was excellent but Jan into Feb has been dire. 

I liked your litany of intractable difficulties regarding the dual setup. It reminded me of something. Ah yes, astrophotography...

Olly

* What is the difference between Olly and Tom? Tom would have meant it...

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

How much for the LRGB? I suggest 4 hours per colour and 12 hours luminance. You won't go wrong with that. :evil4::evil4::evil4:*

I suppose I asked for that.  Just how long has it been since you tried imaging in the UK, Olly?

10 minutes ago, johnrt said:

Smashing, love the super tiny 3nm stars!

Thanks John.  They just come out that way.  I feel a bit of a fraud with the Astrodon filter since there is virtually nothing for me to do other than stretch.

Archived