Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Choosing a Mount

So i have had my fair share of visual astronomy with my 10 inch dob, But i am no looking forward into the realm of astrophotography. And i don't want to have into the jump into the deep end and by a $1,500 eq mount(yet) i was planning on getting a ed80 refactor and the camera i can get figured out. Is there any (good) budget mounts for dso? I was hoping to find a good mount for around $900.

Even though i want Budget mount(or a budget mount compared to a $1500 mount) i do not want to get rid of feature that would keep me from pulling my hair out.

Would it even be worth it?

Thanks in advanced!

I was referring to the http://www.telescope.com/Mounts-Tripods/Equatorial-Mounts-Tripods/Orion-Atlas-EQ-G-Computerized-GoTo-Telescope-Mount/pc/-1/c/2/sc/34/p/116277.uts

Looking forward to be able to see nebulae in color(of course after i process it and such)

The Atlas EQ G (Skywatcher EQ6 Pro)  is a much better mount for imaging compared to the Skyview Pro (Skywatcher EQ5 Pro). The payload capacity of the EQ G is 40lbs (@ 30lbs max for imaging compared to the capacity of the Skyview's 20lb (@ 15lbs max for imaging).  A good compromise would be the Orion Sirius EQ G Pro (Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro)., 30lbs capacity, @20 lbs for imaging.

2 hours ago, killerken924 said:

Thanks for the reply, i was able to add up the weight of my scope,autoguider scope, and the camera and i still got around 11 pounds left. Can accessories for imaging really add up that much?

There is usually far too much talk of weight in these discussions. You can't exceed (or even reach) the payload but there are other important issues like having good stepper motors which will respod accurately to autoguuiding. (You will want to autoguide.)

The Orion equivalent of the HEQ5 Pro recommended by Peter above is excellent for small refractors and will not leave you frustrated. Tracking and guiding are the cornerstone of deep sky imaging. You could have the best professional daytime camera in the world but if somebody tapped it every time you took a picture the pictures would be terrible. You need a good, accurate mount.

Olly

Archived