Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Alpine Valley 4/2/17

mikeDnight

Lovely Mike :icon_biggrin:

Have you managed to see the rille that runs down the valley floor with your Tak 100 ?.

I've managed it with my 12" dob but nothing smaller in aperture as yet. You have sharper eyes than me I suspect so I wondered if you have seen traces of it under good conditions.

28 minutes ago, John said:

Lovely Mike :icon_biggrin:

Have you managed to see the rille that runs down the valley floor with your Tak 100 ?.

I've managed it with my 12" dob but nothing smaller in aperture as yet. You have sharper eyes than me I suspect so I wondered if you have seen traces of it under good conditions.

Hi John,

I've managed to see it as a broken line on occasion but the seeing has to be steady. Tonight the seeing was a bit jittery and got worse. I did get a really good view of it last spring when the Moon was high, but the seeing was top class on that occasion. I only saw it once in my FS128 but have seen hints of it as a broken line on several occasions in the 100mm FC. I've no idea why that would be, other than I now tend to use both eyes for lunar. Also the FC has a Tak micro focuser attached to it, which I think has made a world of difference to the ease with which I can maintain critical focus.

Mike :happy11:

Nice sketch. Well done! :) Just got back in from looking at the Rupes Recta area, and then near the South Pole Moretus crater with the very prominent central peak poking up out of the crater shadow,  and also the aptly named Short crater right behind it very close to the limb. 

8 hours ago, John said:

I've been thinking about the micro-focuser for my F/9.

I doubt you'd regret fitting one to your DL! I know the DL is classed as long at F9 these days, but its not really that long. Only a couple of decades ago it would have been considered by many to be an RFT. :icon_cyclops_ani:

There have been some grumblings that the Tak focusers are a bit stiff. Mine was when I first got the scope, but with a bit of jiggerypokery I managed to make it buttery smooth. It didn't need the micro focuser, but after fitting it to my scope I greatly appreciated just how much easier maintaining focus became.

There was one other thing that irritated me about the DC, and that was that it came with plastic focus knobs. ? I phoned Nick Hudson at True Technology to ask "If I bought the micro focuser, which is all metal, could I also buy a matching metal knob for the other side of the pinion?" He wasn't sure if he had one lying around, so i ordered the micro focuser anyway. When it arrived there was a spare metal focus knob in the box that Nick had supplied free of charge. :icon_biggrin:  

Mike

On 05/02/2017 at 15:05, iPeace said:

Magnificent sketch.

Is it for sale?

:happy11:

(I ask with the deepest respect, to be sure.)

Wouldnt it be easier just to download the image and print it off?

Of course if you're serious, I'd be happy to send you a hand drawn copy, but I wouldn't charge you for it!

Mike

24 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Wouldnt it be easier just to download the image and print it off?

Of course if you're serious, I'd be happy to send you a hand drawn copy, but I wouldn't charge you for it!

Mike

Seeing it here somehow struck a chord in me; it's just very inspiring. It put me in mind of the fact that I must have been observing this very feature at - or quite close to - the time that you were making the sketch. It was the first session during which I was "seriously" observing the Moon at high (max) power, lunar atlas on lap (well, on phone anyway), really trying to make out the individual features one doesn't see (clearly) without optics or indeed with only binoculars. I'm still quite new to all this, so it's all still unfolding for me and it's - quite literally - wonderful.

So it must be the connection I feel with the actual moment you were creating it. I appreciate it sincerely as an original work and I wanted to convey that appreciation, lest you not realise.

Thanks so much for sharing it with us. If at some point you'd wish to part with the original, I'd be happy to hear from you, and would be very glad to compensate, not so much to put a price on it (for it is, in it's way, priceless) but certainly in order to buy you a very nice drink (or two).

:happy11:

Archived