Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

Peter Drew

Yippee!

At long last I've been able to cross off my lunar nemesis, the rille that runs along the floor of the Alpine Valley. Tonight, using a 16" SCT at around 400x I was finally able to see it conclusively. The conditions didn't seem specially good but there it was. I know that many have seen it with much smaller apertures but it has until tonight always alluded me.  :icon_biggrin: 

• Like 10

Well done!  I've tried many times with my 8" newt but never managed it (I think I got it once but I don't know if to was just my imagination). I think the illumination needs to be just so.

Congrats Peter. That's something I haven't seen visually. I tried many times some years ago with my old C11 on stiller nights than we get these days but to no avail. Ive imaged it with a Mak 180 though

• Like 1

Ha ! Exactly my task tonight ! Tried here with an 8" Newt   .Should have been possible , but no show.The seeing and clarity were just amazing. At x240 I pulled out lots of detail. LeeB and I did the rille ( 1 k wide) in the 150 frac, but lighting was much lower with a shadow from the edge of the valley. I spent ages just on the terminator at x200 tonight . What views !

Nick.

• Like 1

Congratulations! In my experience, I have found, like you, the spotting of the Alpine Valley's central rille, extremely difficult, comparable perhaps with spotting the Rima Messier. During the 17 years with an excellent 18" f / 4.5, looking at my notes, I could make out the Alpine rille just three times, and not in full length.  So, a really great success! (---Time  now for  an excellent vintage Single Malt?)

Stephan

• Like 1

Nice one Jules :happy8: I have just come in from a very pleasing Lunar session. Not the best of conditions but still good enough.

I was moon-gazing for an hour or so at sunset  with the 127mm maksutov, and the alpine valley was what I spent most time on. I didn't see the rille but will try for it with the vx14 some time.

Cracking effort! I've yet to catch it in the 10" scope despite several attempts.

Well done Peter, it's always pleasing to view something that has stumped you for ages.

Excellent Peter - well done ! :icon_salut:

I'm very chuffed when I've managed to see this challenging feature with my 12" dob. I find the Pentax XW 5mm eyepiece (318x in this scope) wonderful for high resolution lunar observing and it's the 1st eyepiece I turn to when seeking these really challenging features.