Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Hi

In my quest to identify a mount, I would like advice on the Losmandy G8 - the basic unit without add ones is $1500 +tax and shipping, and this is somewhat beyond my budget. However, the reviews I have read seem to suggest that it is a far superior mount than the usual Celestron, Orion, Sirius, atlas etc. 

Is that true that Losmandy G8 is a better mount.

I will be using the mount for AP (upto three minutes), is it a feasible with a basic G8 unit without the Gemini unit. Telescope is 5" MAK (8 lb)

thanks

Rajeev

I have felt for a long time that the G8 was well past its sell-by date and unless it has been radically improved I would rather have an EQ6. The ones I have seen were, quite honestly, pretty dreadful. The design was awkward and the whole thing rather wobbly.

I'd also say that the Mak, with its slow F ratio, will not do well with short sub exposures. Might it be worth thinking through your deep sky imaging rig with a blank sheet of paper?

Olly

Don't bother with this mount. It is outdated, poorly engineered and overpriced. I have used one for several months and tried in vain to improve the performance.

The problem is the wormgear diameters are very small, which induces a very large and aggressive periodic error.

You will be far better off buying an EQ6. If you are dead set on buying a Losmandy, get a G11, which is far superior than the GM8.

Regards,

Pieter

Edited by pietervdv

I am not able to comment on the GM8 as an imaging mount, but mine was acquired originally for visual use only, with the advantage of "push to" while retaining continuous tracking. The whole unit being quite sturdy, using the 12" mount extension and a heavy duty wooden surveyors tripod. In my view a fine piece of American engineering in alloy and stainless steel.

There are many advocates of the mount to be found on the Cloudy Nights forum, as this is more used in the Unite States, however, the GM11 seems to be the norm for the serious imager, along with its heavy price tag :) 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TB00
      Hi A very newbie question here but for the life of me cannot figure it out.
      Have an EQM35 goto mount linked through a skywatcher wifi dongle to a synscan pro app on my android galaxy s9 phone.
      I van use the app but have a couple of things that are either greyed out or dont operate when pressed:
      1. Point  and  track
      2. Doesn't seem to track (tried the.moon) using lunar tracking but mount doesn't move
      Thanks in advance for your help.
      Tim
    • By Michael Hogan
      I have decided to sell my Cem-120 mount as i got a second hand AP 1100 GTO from my friend who got a new AP 1600 with encoders
      its just under a year old bought from Altair Astro so still under two year warranty is in mint cont i couldn't miss the opportunity to get
      AP 1100 GTO and let it go still waiting for pier plate for mount.
      So theirs no point in keeping two large mounts after i got my dream final mount buyer will pay shipping price is 2150 pounds.
      Altair Astro price without Ipolar Camera is 3250 pounds without Ipolar Camera which is 200 pounds total 3450 pounds

• By Clear Skies!
      I am going to buy Skywatcher EQ5 Pro Go-To mount. But, unfortunately, I am low on budget.
      So, does someone know where can I buy the cheapest EQ5 pro mount?
      Yesterday there was a low price for it (350 €), but they changed it.
      Thank you for your time!
    • By muddy
      SOLD
      Skywatcher HEQ5PRO Tripod and Extension pillar.
      There are a few marks on the tripod legs but not really noticable, the eyepioece/spreader tray has paint flaking off
      But could be cleaned and repainted, it didnt bother me, but I am lazy.
      I am selling as its not getting used as it should be and I find I use the excuse that it takes to long to carry it out 
      and setup, but in reality I think I am just losing interest.
      As it is a heavy object collection from TS25 (Hartlepool) is preferred.
      But if a courier collection service is available buyer pays the costs and arranges pickup I am happy as long as money has been transfered. Also I am prepared to travel a reasonable distance to meet for exchange.
      Price £400 ONO I will not split

SALE COMPLETED

• By CrystalFox
      Hello guys,
      I recently got into astronomy so I bought my first telescope. I've read through several articles and the recommendation for a beginner's telescope (value/price) was Celestron Astromaster 130EQ-MD. I bought this from someone who was not really using it and it is in a very good condition. Prior to actually purchasing this, I've watched countless videos on how the telescope works, what needs to be done - latitude, RA/DEC alignment, polar alignment, etc..
      After reading through all available manuals and videos, I finally brought it home from the seller (they've had it for around 5 years but it wasn't used much). After setting up the tripod, mounting the telescope and familiarising myself with all the different knobs, I pointed the mount/telescope towards north. The first thing I had to do was setting up the latitude. Since I am based in London, the latitude is around 52 degrees. Afterwards, I had to align the declination axis so the telescope can be balanced. As I understand it, you should be able to move it to any position on the axis and it should stay in that position. If the front or rear was heavier, I would either pushing or pulling the telescope after unlocking the brackets holding it together. This is where the issues began, I could balance the telescope so it doesn't move while in the horizontal position, however, when pointing it towards north, it would exclusively lean towards one direction - to the left. If the telescope was pointing to north, north-east or east, it would pull towards the west all the time. It is probably easier to show it in the video. I've spent three days trying to balance the telescope by using different methods and it just would not work. 
      I've also tried balancing the RA axis first. This could be somehow done, but the declination axis would still pull the telescope to the left.
      It is extremely frustrating as I don't know what could be causing this. Balancing the telescope should be relatively easy from what I have heard - either push it or pull it depending on where the weight is. However, I have been really struggling to get it set-up.
      I would be thankful for any suggestions and please feel free to ask any questions so I can help with finding out what is wrong.

Thank you.
      VID_20190918_202940.mp4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.