1564402927_Comet2021Banner.jpg.a8d9e102cd65f969b635e8061096d211.jpg

Hi

In my quest to identify a mount, I would like advice on the Losmandy G8 - the basic unit without add ones is $1500 +tax and shipping, and this is somewhat beyond my budget. However, the reviews I have read seem to suggest that it is a far superior mount than the usual Celestron, Orion, Sirius, atlas etc. 

Is that true that Losmandy G8 is a better mount.

I will be using the mount for AP (upto three minutes), is it a feasible with a basic G8 unit without the Gemini unit. Telescope is 5" MAK (8 lb)

thanks

Rajeev

I have felt for a long time that the G8 was well past its sell-by date and unless it has been radically improved I would rather have an EQ6. The ones I have seen were, quite honestly, pretty dreadful. The design was awkward and the whole thing rather wobbly.

I'd also say that the Mak, with its slow F ratio, will not do well with short sub exposures. Might it be worth thinking through your deep sky imaging rig with a blank sheet of paper?

Olly

Don't bother with this mount. It is outdated, poorly engineered and overpriced. I have used one for several months and tried in vain to improve the performance.

The problem is the wormgear diameters are very small, which induces a very large and aggressive periodic error.

You will be far better off buying an EQ6. If you are dead set on buying a Losmandy, get a G11, which is far superior than the GM8.

Regards,

Pieter

Edited by pietervdv

I am not able to comment on the GM8 as an imaging mount, but mine was acquired originally for visual use only, with the advantage of "push to" while retaining continuous tracking. The whole unit being quite sturdy, using the 12" mount extension and a heavy duty wooden surveyors tripod. In my view a fine piece of American engineering in alloy and stainless steel.

There are many advocates of the mount to be found on the Cloudy Nights forum, as this is more used in the Unite States, however, the GM11 seems to be the norm for the serious imager, along with its heavy price tag :) 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By KonusKing
      Hello, thank you in advance for your assistance!
      I recently received a Konus Super Polar System equatorial mount as a gift, which I will use with my 114mm/900mm reflector scope. The mount is in great shape, but it is missing the counterweight shaft, nut, and flange. I would really appreciate your advice on replacing these!
      You can see a lot of pictures of the exact type of mount I have here. I believe that this mount is similar to an EQ3.2, or the same as a Celestron CG4 or CG5. The hole in the mount where the counterweight shaft screws into is 15mm across, and the interior holes in the two counterweights that came with the mount are 25mm across. Here is a picture of my mount:

Here is a picture of the manual, showing the pieces I am missing:

And here are a few pictures from the internet of the same mount, but showing what I am missing: the counterweight shaft, "toe-saver" nut, and the flange (the reverse cone shaped connector):

I have found a 25mm diameter counterweight shaft that I could order online, at this link. But, will this be able to screw into the 15mm hole in my mount? Additionally, the flange on this looks entirely different, but to be honest I am not sure how necessary the flange really is. I would appreciate your input on if I should even worry about finding a similar flange. I did find a replacement counterweight shaft that I could order that has a similar looking flange, but this is only 20mm in diameter, linked here, but I assume that would not work with my counterweights that have a 25mm hole. Please be aware that I am located in Italy, so I am intending to order from a European site to make shipping easier.
      I have also seen some people with the same mount who have done a DIY counterweight shaft, and this is why I am posting on this forum. If the options above won't work, how would you recommend that I make a new shaft and flange myself? In this image, I see someone using two large nuts where the flange goes, but does this give the necessary stability?

TLDR: What do you recommend I do for a mount with a 15mm hole for the counterweight shaft, and two weights that have 25mm holes in them?
    • By raadoo
      After many hours spent tweaking and playing around with my AZ-GTi for the past year or so, I'm ready to move up to a more long-term mount and plead the wisdom of this fine group for some considered recommendations.
      Things I care about:
      Equatorial GoTo Imaging, guided for both DSOs and planetary Portable, so low weight is paramount* Minimum imaging payload of ~10kg** Good track record of reliability, both hardware and software I'll continue to be using my AAP for a while so software compatibility is important < €2.5K I've got a shortlist which looks like this:

iOptron Vixen iOptron   CEM40 / GEM45 SXD2 CEM26 / GEM28EC Payload (sans cw) 18 15 12.7 Weight (head) 7.2 8.8 4.5 Price 2400 2600 2430 Comment Seems like the best option, on paper, at least. Portable enough with payload that'll last me a while and generally seems like I it's unlikely I'll get a lemon. Not the greatest payload to weight ratio, and the priciest of the bunch, but there's an assumed inherent quality, it coming from Vixen. In their EC variant, the 26/28 reach the same price as the 40/45 series. I'm going to guide anyway so wondering if that RA encoder is worth it? Lightest of the bunch, but also flimsiest from what I read.
      But I'm very open to other options, so please do recommend!
      * In an ideal world, I'd go for the RST-135 in a heartbeat. But it's near twice my budget so it's a non-starter, sadly.
      ** A C8 equivalent is the heaviest I'll ever put on it. Not because I don't want to go heavier, but because my bad back would have words with me if I would dare huck a chonker around.

• By refractor2345
      So, as the title explains I need a mount for my 70mm F/10 refractor, It has a fork mount (Alt-az) and the tripod head fell with crash to the ground. So, it wobbles a lot and it causes frustration to even point at Jupiter, I don't want to throw It away, It is a nice scope and my first scope, so I need some easy mounts to make. There are some threads (Forums) but I would like to make a custom mount!
    • By Lotinsh
      I want to do some astrophotography, I have tried without a mount so far not terrible, though it is quite annoying that I have to take so many pictures with just the lens, also my tripod is tiny and keeps falling over. I know that I will enjoy photographing night sky so I'm committed. Is the Skywatcher Mount EQ5 good enough? Do I need to buy separate parts for it to work? Like adapters etc? Also any other better mount recommendations? I'm not so familiar with mounts and their types. All advice is welcome
      Edit: Just in case I'm from Europe and I mean 500Eur
    • By Corpze
      Thought this might be interesting for anyone who might consider a ASA mount, or anyone else who just wan't to follow my adventures trying my best in the obsy

Anyway - here is the video of me polar aligning and making a new sky model

/Daniel

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.