Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi

In my quest to identify a mount, I would like advice on the Losmandy G8 - the basic unit without add ones is $1500 +tax and shipping, and this is somewhat beyond my budget. However, the reviews I have read seem to suggest that it is a far superior mount than the usual Celestron, Orion, Sirius, atlas etc. 

Is that true that Losmandy G8 is a better mount.

I will be using the mount for AP (upto three minutes), is it a feasible with a basic G8 unit without the Gemini unit. Telescope is 5" MAK (8 lb)

thanks

Rajeev

I have felt for a long time that the G8 was well past its sell-by date and unless it has been radically improved I would rather have an EQ6. The ones I have seen were, quite honestly, pretty dreadful. The design was awkward and the whole thing rather wobbly.

I'd also say that the Mak, with its slow F ratio, will not do well with short sub exposures. Might it be worth thinking through your deep sky imaging rig with a blank sheet of paper?

Olly

Don't bother with this mount. It is outdated, poorly engineered and overpriced. I have used one for several months and tried in vain to improve the performance.

The problem is the wormgear diameters are very small, which induces a very large and aggressive periodic error.

You will be far better off buying an EQ6. If you are dead set on buying a Losmandy, get a G11, which is far superior than the GM8.

Regards,

Pieter

Edited by pietervdv

I am not able to comment on the GM8 as an imaging mount, but mine was acquired originally for visual use only, with the advantage of "push to" while retaining continuous tracking. The whole unit being quite sturdy, using the 12" mount extension and a heavy duty wooden surveyors tripod. In my view a fine piece of American engineering in alloy and stainless steel.

There are many advocates of the mount to be found on the Cloudy Nights forum, as this is more used in the Unite States, however, the GM11 seems to be the norm for the serious imager, along with its heavy price tag :) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Brownthunder93
      Anyone have any idea where I can get a replacement counterweight bar/shaft for my EQ5 mount? 
    • By Pork_Nocker
      I am forced to use the drift method alignment from my back garden due to a neighbouring building being between Capella and me. So I have been practising the drift alignment method. I have however ran into a problem, and no amount of googling has provided me with the answer. so I am hoping that someone can help me out in understanding what could be the issue or what I could be doing wrong.
      The problem that I am experiencing is that the objects in my viewfinder are drifting backwards. i.e. they are slowing disappearing off my screen on the lefthand side. There is no drift upwards or downwards that I can detect thought. The drift is slow enough to allow me to take a picture of up to around 4 seconds without the stars looking out of shape. But at 10sec or higher, the drift is quite clear.
      Does anyone have an idea or suggestion for me to try?
    • By DaveSw
      Is anyone here controlling a Vixen SP2 (SB One) with an external computer for GoTo, etc. (for AP use)?  Is it even possible?  I have been unable to find any references to it. I see Vixen mounts suggested as fine, but expensive mounts and references to SB Ten providing GoTo capabilities but nothing to suggest it’s doable with the “simpler” version. 

I’m  looking for my first solid mount to do photography with a 70-80mm refractor. Starting with a mirrorless APC camera and eventually a cooled mono camera. I’ve been considering mounts I can move in and outdoors relatively easily. This mount and the HEQ-5 are the two I’m looking at most seriously at this time. The local market (western Canada) for used mounts seems to have dried up during recent times, so new is what I’m looking at. (Vixen because of their “it’s already fiddled and should just work” reputation and the HEQ-5 because it’s well known with fixes and mods well defined. (It’s also more affordable by a fair margin here.)
    • By AstroRuz
      For sale is my beloved but now superfluous to requirements HEQ5 Pro for £650
      It's in a used condition as you would imagine. I've had it for about 4 years and found great success with this mount. Ideal for those beginning astrophotography and also good for visual users.
      I'm calling it "deluxe" due to the upgrades I've had done.
      - It's belt modified
      - It's had brand new bearings and grease
      - The backlash has been expertly setup 
      - It has the latest polar scope
      - The power port has been replaced with an aviation style port which is a lot more secure
      It'll come with the hand controller and at least 1 counterweight (if I can find the second it'll come with both). The polar scope cover has been lost. The counterweight is rusty as always. There is some marring on the counterweight bar housing as shown in the photos.
      It also will come with the modified power cable required also.
      Note: the power LED sometimes doesn't illuminate but the mount is still powered (please see the photo with the hand controller).
      Collection or local delivery within Northampton

• By Ade Turner
      I’ve been using my 8’ Edge HD on an Evolution mount for a couple of years now and I added a wedge to it a few months back. Using SkyPortal with StarSense I’ve never really had any major issues getting it aligned. 

Last night I was setting up to photograph Mars and went through my normal procedure. StarSense took its images but, after confirming success with the third plate, instead of just winding up a bit and parking it proceeded to pitch the ota towards the north well below the horizon.

Fortunately nothing snagged. I skipped the ASPA and instructed it to goto Mars and was surprised to find it was spot on (better than usual actually).

Anyone any ideas why it took that nose dive? Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.