Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is it the weather?

triton1

I like others did some research before purchasing my first scope and a lot of this was down to the Astronomy shed videos which I found very informative so it was out of curiosity I watched one yesterday about the Qhy polar master when Dion announced that he had jacked Astronomy in because he had lost his "mojo".I have also seen other people selling all their kit so is it to do with the weather or somthing like the "seven year itch" I want to try somthing else?

The weather doesn't help, but you can still get decent sessions in, even through gaps in cloud - SGL is full of happy reports!  No, I suppose it is mainly due to losing interest because of the effort and perseverance required, as well as the often awkward times suited to observing.  Or the feeling of That's it, done it, what next?

Disillusionment can pass, but then again sometimes it's best to make the break.  When I started, two years ago, I gave up a previous hobby of over 30 years' standing, and have never looked back.  All the paraphernalia is now sold, and been spent on Astro!

Doug.

I think you have to grab the opportunities when they appear, and possibly base kit around being adaptable.

I had written this weekend off, but while reading this forum last night somebody not that far away commented that they had clear skies, was around 23:30. Half an hour later I had my photo kit up and running. Didn't make the best use of the opportunity, need to fine tune things for quicker setup, also need to chop down a big bush thing in the garden and build a pad suitable for placing my mounts.

My mojo's still risin'.... :)

Been a Doors fan all my life ( well, since 13)!

But back on topic - my mojo isn't scope specific. Any glimpse of stars, planets has me goggling up( out?)ward, whether I have glass or no. It's just utterly captivating. However, I certainly could use more impetus to set up my scopes during winter especially as I don't get home from work til late most days.....but losing interest? Nah....too excited by whatever I can see!

And if I can't see squat, a photographic lunar/star atlas can hold my attention for ages!

A long period with no observing simply creates a greater desire to get out there when an opportunity does arise, and like ghostdance, I am thinking about  or reading about Astronomy  most, if not all the evenings of a week. It certainly does not dampen my interest. :happy11:

I'm in a wheelchair and for the last 18 months have been under doctors orders not to sit for too long (ironic, i know). This has basically stalled my observing almost completely. Apart from this, the weather has been utterly rubbish for almost as long. Sure there have been some clear nights. I just dont feel the need to rush out and observe at every given chance either. Last week there were 4 clear nights in a row. I was doing other stuff.

A couple of yrs back, a thread was started asking "What Is The Longest Period Of Time You Have Gone Without Observing, Due To The Weather". The thread title should have won a prize for being the longest ever here on SGL. My reply was (almost as long as the title).........:

"2012-2015"

A lot of people seem to expect to observe a large proportion of nights. In general any part of the Western side of the UK will get more cloud. I lived in Wiltshire and it was one of the wettest places I have been, and Wiltshire is not as bad as several others. Dark is of little use if the sky is clouded.

Expectations are to see Hubble images, some expect Chandra like images. It is not going to happen. Neither will Mars, Saturn or Jupiter fill your eyepiece.

The biggest scope in creation is really not going to help, simply too much trouble to get it all out, set up and sorted. Also many do not have a licence for a fork lift truck. Oddly at outreach it is very often the smaller scopes that people head to, not the big ones.

A smaller easy to use and quick setup scope will generally result in more observing time. I know of almost no-one that will take out their 1" dobsoniian for what could amount to 40 to 60 minutes observing. But a reasonable few with an 80mm to 100mm achro will.

Has Dion lost it owing to astronomy +/- weather, or is it the forum ?

Archived