Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Nottingham :)

Ariejester

I've just started venturing into astrophotography and am looking to buy my first telescope to work with my Canon 5Dii :)

I've been browsing through posts and am learning a lot already! But any equipment and book recommendations are always welcome!

Leanne.

Hi Leanne

A very warm welcome to the Lounge and hello from a Nottingham lad. As suggested buy the book MAKE EVERY PHOTON COUNT by Steve Richards. It will give you an understanding of the "ins and outs" of astrophotograhy. More importantly it will save you a lot of time and effort on considering your options. Oh and it's a very slippery slope and once hooked. ££££££ :shocked::shocked::shocked:

Steve

Hi Leanne and welcome to SGL - This is a great place to be and I see that already THE defintive imaging bible has already been recommended! Have a look as well in the imaging section as people usually list the kit that their images were taken with, so you can get more ideas about kit etc. Yes it is all about the mount.... mount..... and mount..... Did I say that the mount is important? :D Get that right and you will be enjoying imaging from the start. Get it wrong and you will find it can be very frustrating as well as unproductive.

There's a few of us imagers knocking about ( :)  ) so just give a shout and I'm sure that someone will be able to help.

Look forward to seeing you around :) 

Hi Leanne and welcome to SGL, Although I do not image myself, from the experience of many new and seasoned members of the forum, it is essential to set off on the right foot.

Steve Richards book; as already recommended, is in the view of the majority of forum members, who are involved in the imaging side of Astronomy, class it as an essential guide and a copy should be your first acquisition before considering the purchase of any telescope and mount, see FLO top of the page for details. Enjoy your photography and the forum :) 

Welcome to the forum, getting into astro imaging can be very daunting and expensive, one thing to do is talk to as many people as possible about your equipment choices so you don't make the same mistakes many off us have done, saves time and money, I'm also in the Nottingham area and more than willing to help you with my limited knowledge, plus you could see mine and other local people's set ups and get ideas and tips which helped me loads.

23 hours ago, swag72 said:

Hi Leanne and welcome to SGL - This is a great place to be and I see that already THE defintive imaging bible has already been recommended! Have a look as well in the imaging section as people usually list the kit that their images were taken with, so you can get more ideas about kit etc. Yes it is all about the mount.... mount..... and mount..... Did I say that the mount is important? :D Get that right and you will be enjoying imaging from the start. Get it wrong and you will find it can be very frustrating as well as unproductive.

There's a few of us imagers knocking about ( :)  ) so just give a shout and I'm sure that someone will be able to help.

Look forward to seeing you around :) 

Haha thanks :)

17 hours ago, red dwalf said:

Welcome to the forum, getting into astro imaging can be very daunting and expensive, one thing to do is talk to as many people as possible about your equipment choices so you don't make the same mistakes many off us have done, saves time and money, I'm also in the Nottingham area and more than willing to help you with my limited knowledge, plus you could see mine and other local people's set ups and get ideas and tips which helped me loads.

That's lovely of you, thank you :)

Archived