Narrowband

Coma Berenices to Lyra , morning !

cotterless45

Up and set up by 3. Clear to start with, a quick check on M51 showed both cores and the "bridge", nice. Just a scoop of galaxies , kicking off with the "whale" NGC 4631 in Canes Venatici. Then up to Coma Berenices, 
M64 (" black eye"), elongate with a bright core.
M85   A star like Centre.
M88, faint.
M91 , by averted.
M98.  Faint by averted.
M100, by averted. Then the bright globular M53 and the fainter NGC 5053.
Had a look at M13 and M92 as Hercules was high with Lyra not far behind. Jupiter just wobbled around with the moons nicely strung out. I turned back to Hercules for binaries,
Kappa showed a lot of colour at x50.
Gamma showed a wide delicate companion.
Σ2025 showed a nearly equal pair at 2.1". A more delicate pair at 
Σ2051.
Σ2063, giving a wide and colourful view, as did 42 Herculis.
Cloud pulled in from the south, just managed some views of Lyra and a real show case sight of β Lyrae (Sheliak). This is a wonderful scene at low magnification, the multiple group looking like a mini cluster. All the main stars of Lyra apart from gamma are binaries. I think β provides the most stunning view with its contrasting companions. By 5, cloud cover was complete, not even Jupiter was shining.

The simple straight secondary vane used by Orion Optics gives were clean star images , very surprised to get results comparable to a frac . 

IMG_4457.JPGIMG_4459.JPGIMG_4458.JPG

CLear skies and here's to early rising !

Nick.

Nice one Nick. 

Some lovely stuff in there. I'm really looking forward  to galloway at the end of the month as M51 was stunning last year and the best I've ever seen it. 

Gonna try for a few hours out tonight if the weather is kind. The forecast has it best local and clear to midnight so patio it is.  

I have my paper ready to start sketching just need clear skies great report from a frac lover using a reflector. I'm going to try and use my Tal then the 8 inch on same objects and see the difference, obviously have to take into consideration the seeing.

Great stuff Nick! I managed an hour when the sky cleared miraculously here at about 23:00 or so. The seeing was good enough to split 14 Ori nicely, show the 6 stars of the Trapezium in all their glory, and a number of other doubles, and then the temperature reached the dew point and I suddenly had running water over all the optics......

Chris

Nice one. Your reports are often a couple of months ahead of their time (from the perspective of someone who needs a good night sleep)! Whets the appetite for seeing some of these great sights again soon. M51 is just magic.

Good one Nick, dedicated as ever. I'm hoping to bag some of these from Tenerife in a couple of months...

I really love those sketches. I cheekily compared them to Stellarium just now - I should have had more faith, they are very accurate!

Archived