Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Hi all,

tonight, the clouds vanished for some hours so I set up the Dobsonian on the terrace and did a lunar sketch again.

20170203_Rima_Hyginus_small.JPG

Telescope: Martini 10" f/5 Truss tube Dobsonian
Eyepiece: Skywatcher 5mm UWA 58°
Date & Time: Feb 3rd, 1800-1900 CET
Technique: chalk and charcoal pens on black sketching paper
Size: 11"x11"
Literature: Craters of the Nearside Moon, Features of the Nearside Moon (both by John Moore)

Right in the center of the 200km Rima Hyginus, there's Hyginus itself which - as per Moore -- is assumed to be a volcanic caldera instead of an impact crater. Southwest of it there is the crater Hyginus A. Further to the west and south, Rimae Triesnecker lead to the crater Triesnecker whose northwestern rim wasn't illuminated yet.

Clear skies!

Achim

• Like 10

Astonishing skills. Something to aspire to. I am very much at the other end of the scale when I at comes to lunar sketches.

• Like 1

Excellent sketch. I do like to sketch the moon, but find it very frustrating as mine never turn out very well!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Piero
      I'm currently on my annual leave in Italy and the sky has been clear all day with no air turbulence.
      The telescope is out - of course - and I managed a session before dinner.
      I thought about sharing some photos taken with my phone and a couple of sketches.

• By J47
      Hello stargazers, welcome. I had posted a picture yesterday of Uranus that had appeared to show its rings. I am using a Nexstar 4se, a 2x Barlow, and my Neximage Burst Color and capturing hundreds of photos and stacking them for my results. But still had me and others curious to if I were actually seeing the rings of Uranus or maybe just a glare of some sort.
      So I got back out there this morning, might I note I live in FL where the weather tends to stay hot so clear imaging during this time of year can be difficult, but not impossible as this image that I stacked 150 out of 300 images taken may show that statement holds true..............or I could just be mistaken the object in the image, but all in all I am feeling pretty confident that I have a decently clear image(stacked 150 images) of Uranus, its rings, and one of it's distant moons. It may be necessary to zoom in on my photo in order to see the moon it should be down and to the right of the planet a good distance in relation to the size of planet, I noticed that looking at Uranus in the photo helped bring the moon out just like stargazing in real-time. 
      If anyone can better distinguish what I might have done right or wrong here any help would be appreciated (also forgot to change format save for my images so I am stuck with .bmp and setting it as a download, sorry for any inconvenience.) - - - J47(JAY)
      uranusringmoon.bmp
    • By Joaquim Q
      Hi, i..m on Stargazers Lounge for long time ago, but now i have a new scope at last!!! The scope is a Skywatcher classic200p dobsonian, and i received it just one month ago. I.m really happy with it. For now, i.m using the stock eyepieces that come with the scope, a 25mm and 10mm super plossl 52. Yesterday i was received a Celestron Omni barlow, and that expands my magnification range. I posted some pics with my set. 
      Congratulations to Stargazers lounge team, this is one of the best sites to learn about astronomy and equipment. 
      Besf regards to everybody 

• By MarsG76
      Hello Astronomers,
      On the 12th August, between 18:34 and 19:21 we had a occultation of Saturn by the moon.
      Of course I couldn't miss out of such a event so I took the day of work and setup my gear so that I could simultaneously capture the event as well as observe it.
      I had the SCT recording with the 618C while observing it in the dob... literally at high power it looked like a Saturn rise... massive lunar horizon filling the field of view with a big Saturn rising from under it, literally animated and visible slowly moving up... Looked amazing in the eyepiece... 
      Photos or videos don't even come close to how good that looks live in the ep.
      I had my eye on the eyepiece in the 14" Skywatcher during the occultation and recorded the start and finish times as soon as I noticed them:

Occultation Start 18:35.51 AEST
      Reappearance Start: 19:19.37 AEST
      Occultation Finish: 19:21.20 AEST

I stuffed up the first part video, the covering of Saturn because I still had iCap set to capturing a maximum of 5000 frames left from my planetary imaging, so at 25fps I barely got a 3.5 minute video that stopped just before the actual occultation started... yes I was kicking my self... but at least I watched it... I wasn't going to do the same mistake on the re appearance on the other side...
      Sharing with you my photos and the video of the event... video is sped up to 400%.
      Clear Skies.
      MG

Saturn Lunar Occultation 12Aug2019.mov
    • By Ruud
      Yesterday the Moon was  low in the sky (in Scorpius), but he seeing was good and allowed magnifications up to  257x.  Gassendi was the most prominent crater on the terminator. Here's a painting of the scene.
      The small Moon image (Stellarium) shows the location of Gassendi.

Thank you for watching.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.