Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW EQ5 Pro Synscan Dec motor - which cog?

I've just taken delivery of a Skywatcher EQ5 Pro Synscan mount from FLO. When I tried to move the  dec, there was a graunching sound and the scope didn't move. I noted that the motor cog was positioned on top of the dec driveshaft cog and so didn't mesh properly. I removed the dec motor assembly to see if I could adjust something to bring the two cogs into mesh. It was then that I noticed that the dec motor has a double cog and that the smaller (lower) cog was positioned to mesh with the dec driveshaft cog.

Since FLO aren't open until Monday morning, I'm posting this hoping someone can tell me whether I can resolve this and tell me if the mount was delivered improperly set up or whether there's a fault with the dec drive. All help gratefully received.

Edited to note this is hopefully resolved. Moving the cog on the drive shaft up almost as far as it would go allowed the smaller motor cog and the drive shaft cog to mesh fully. I can't test the mount properly tonight as there is 100% cloud cover, but at least the mount now slews smoothly in both RA and dec.

Thanks for the suggestion. Piccies of the motor and where it fits on the dec drive are attached. I've just had a thought. The dec axis feels stiffer than the RA axis does. I wonder whether there might be binding in the dec gearing?

DecMotor.jpg

DecInput.jpg

Many thanks. As I mentioned when I edited my previous post, I've got it to work but those photos and instructions are invaluable because they show how to remove the dec gear covers and so enable me to make sure that the gears are properly aligned.

Edited to add: those photos also show that the larger of the "double cogs" mesh with the pinion on the motor shaft, which means that the smaller must mesh with the pinion on the dec driveshaft.

Many thanks again.

Archived