Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Markh68

Canon 450D for imaging

I am planning to do some AP with a canon 450d.

Can this camera be remotely controlled from a laptop

If you are thinking of using Backyard EOS you can see the cameras supported here and it lists the 450D.

Peter

• Like 1

You can even use the Canon Utility 2 software that comes with the camera (Free!!)

Most definitely I used that camera for DS imaging for a few years, it works with Canon Utility, APT and I assume BYEOS.  

Will need to be astro modified to get the most out of it.  

Carole 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, carastro said:

Most definitely I used that camera for DS imaging for a few years, it works with Canon Utility, APT and I assume BYEOS.  

Will need to be astro modified to get the most out of it.  

Carole 

Yes I still have and use one exclusively with BYEOS Carole and works perfectly.

Down load all the available Canon software and drivers, do not wait do it and keep your own complete set locally backed up. When Canon make the 450d end of life you will no longer be able to get the software and drivers from their website, so make sure you have your own copy of the source files you know you will want.

Canon link

• Like 4

Another recommendation for APT here, it's very good and very cheap. I also use an intervalometer to control my camera, especially useful if I don't want to take the laptop outside, am using it for something else or when travelling to an image site.

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies
  • Like 1

I no longer have my 450D (as per my post above), it was an excellent camera, but sadly it died on me last September - just would not switch on.   I did try to get another used one as despite using CCD cameras these days a DSLR still has it's uses.  A suitable 450D did not come up so now I have a 1100D.  Both have live view and will connect to a computer.

Carole 

Another vote for APT.  If you have an Android phone and the phone supports USB Host mode, you can use 'DSLR Controller' software to provide control as well.

• Like 1