Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

02_02_17 Tempted by the Moon

RichM63

Driving home, I simply couldn't resist pulling over.

Single frame, hand held, Canon 7D, Tamron 150-600, @600mm + Kenko 2X. ISO 400, 1/640, f6.3, fully Manual settings, focusing etc. Shot from the driver's seat of the ML. (as is, uncropped)

IMG_6442_DxO_PSP.jpg

hopefully I will get a proper sequence on a tripod sometime soon.

Rich

10 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

That's amazing! :headbang:

Your drivers seat mount seems to be steady enough, so why bother with a tripod? :happy11:

Mike 

Well yes but, in order to be taken seriously, I need to stand outside in the freezing cold, take many shots, AS!3 them, RS6 them, wavelet them, sharpen them, crop them, and then convert before posting. Warm and toasty in the ML whilst poking the lens out of the window, I feel like a bit of a 'wuss'.

Incredible at 600mm x2 handheld! 

The Moon is so bright, that with a slight boost in ISO to 400, it allowed for a shutter speed +- = to the un X'd fl of the lens (ie the rule of thumb for 'hand held'). The Tamron 150-600 VC has very good Image Stabilization (IS/VC) idem the Sigma, that providing the focus mechanism is taken away from the shutter button (ie BF, or Manual) meant that with a continuous half press of the shutter button and manually tweaking the lens focus the IS/VC at this shutter speed helped to compensate for camera shake.

This kit combo', is what many of us down in the Photography Section use almost daily, and so get used to having to 'grab n shoot'. generally 'birds' hand held when setting up with tripods etc is not always possible. (look at some of Davefrance's shots, Hobsey, n Charon, not to forget the expert Psychobilly).

Kiki, if you have a camera, then 'shoot away' at no matter what. We all enjoy helping, if and when we can.

Rich

Archived