Narrowband

Tento 8x40

johnfosteruk

Just taken delivery of a soviet tank. Or that's what it feels like. Very good construction  

Leather case in reasonable condition. Optics are free of fungus all the way through but a little dusty and smeary so I've had them on the bench for a clean up. Nice coatings.

Mechanically they're good with smooth focus, hinge and right dioptre movement

theyre a nice weight for comfortable handheld use

only had a look outside on a cloudy day so far but no noticeable CA yet and nice and sharp across a good portion of the fov. I'll do a proper first light report when I get the chance.

some pics  before cleaning

IMG_3830.JPGIMG_3876.JPG

IMG_3875.JPG

IMG_3878.JPG

Tento glass is excellent, John. If collimated you should get pin sharp stars, good colours and excellent contrast with very dark sky background from a dark site.

I have owned these, 10x50s and the 20x60s. The latter are just superb, and they are all great value for money..

Enjoy!:icon_biggrin:

Dave

7 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Tento glass is excellent

It certainly is Dave, in fact it was your write ups and reports in a few threads that sealed the deal for me. I'm looking for some 20x60s as well as we speak.

I've just been out for a surprise (due to manthrax and crud weather) session with them and I'm most impressed. 

They're sharp across approx 70% of the field, and I mean sharp and the reduction in sharpness out to 100% is tolerable, the FOV gave me the full Hyades and Aldebaran making about 5 point something degrees. 

It was almost looking like diamonds on black velvet, with light pollution, before it was fully dark. I don't think I've ever seen M45 looking so pretty and M42 while still low, with a nasty street light interfering was a clear smudge, I think when mounted I'll be able to split the Trap into 2 or 3 if I'm lucky.

The moon was beautiful to look at, the terminator extremely sharp, details jumping out of the eyepieces, my favourite lunar trio Arzachel, Alphonsus and Ptolemaeus, the Caucasus Mountains, the Southern Highlands all brimming with detail at only 8x.

Most impressed with this bargain

7 hours ago, F15Rules said:

I have owned these

I want to mount them but the hinge is solid/housed so a Kaiser clamp won't do it - (how) did you mount yours mate? I'm a little dubious of the Manfrotto Super Clamp.

I've got an old pair of mint condition Hilkinson 10x50s on their way as well, binocular bonanza :)

I've just been out for another quickie with these while some lunar images are processing and have some additional notes. 

CA on the moon, while present is minimal, more noticeable when out of focus than in focus and it's definitely tolerable, nothing is ever going to rival ED glass!!

Speaking of focus, they snap to focus quite nicely, no sloppiness at all.

The rubber eyecups are in very good condition given their age and fold down well to give a comfortable viewing experience with the specs on, plenty of eye relief so I didn't have to squish my specs into my face.

They're bright and resolve an awful lot of stars for the aperture. I was touring Orion and ended up at his head, Collinder 69 showing a dozen brighter stars and a number of fainter stars, giving it a nebulous feel.

A little hop up to CR65 showed me about 2 dozen stars. This is a large, open cluster almost filling the FOV with a nice little triple at the Southern edge. Note to self there are a number of nice doubles here, must get the scope on it.

16 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

It certainly is Dave, in fact it was your write ups and reports in a few threads that sealed the deal for me. I'm looking for some 20x60s as well as we speak.

I've just been out for a surprise (due to manthrax and crud weather) session with them and I'm most impressed. 

They're sharp across approx 70% of the field, and I mean sharp and the reduction in sharpness out to 100% is tolerable, the FOV gave me the full Hyades and Aldebaran making about 5 point something degrees. 

It was almost looking like diamonds on black velvet, with light pollution, before it was fully dark. I don't think I've ever seen M45 looking so pretty and M42 while still low, with a nasty street light interfering was a clear smudge, I think when mounted I'll be able to split the Trap into 2 or 3 if I'm lucky.

The moon was beautiful to look at, the terminator extremely sharp, details jumping out of the eyepieces, my favourite lunar trio Arzachel, Alphonsus and Ptolemaeus, the Caucasus Mountains, the Southern Highlands all brimming with detail at only 8x.

Most impressed with this bargain

I want to mount them but the hinge is solid/housed so a Kaiser clamp won't do it - (how) did you mount yours mate? I'm a little dubious of the Manfrotto Super Clamp.

I've got an old pair of mint condition Hilkinson 10x50s on their way as well, binocular bonanza :)

Hi John

From memory I used an Opticron Binocular Clamp (can't post a link from my phone but it comes up readily if you Google that term).

A very solid, good quality adjustable clamp, £15 but will last for ever!

Hope that helps?

Dave

Archived