Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trouble using a barlow with my Meade Lightbridge 16"

I recently acquired a Meade Lightbridge 16" scope (f 4.5), and realized that I'm unable to focus with my barlow attached ( the barlow is a Celestron X-Cel LX 3x barlow). After some experimentation, I found that it's because the focal plane of the primary is too short - it's just at the end of the focuser when it's fully retracted. By removing the 2"-1.25" adapter, I found that I'm able to focus with the barlow if it can go about 6 mm further in. 

Other than cutting my truss tubes to shorten them, or buying a lower profile focuser, is there any cheap, DIY method by which I can achieve focus?

An astronomer friend of mine suggested fully tightening all the primary collimation knobs, so that the primary mirror moves up a little inside the OTA, thus bringing the focus further out of the focuser, but that didn't help ( it probably moved upwards only by a couple of millimeters)

Archived