Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Bodkin

14 inch Darkstar Dobsonian - sale or trade

I am going to try to sell this big fellow again. It is a solid tube scope made in the UK by Darkstar, probably in the mid to late 1990s. The build is that of a traditional dobsonian with a plywood rocker section which provides a solid foundation and smooth movement. The mirrors could do with re-coating, but are still quite usable. I have added a new Telrad finder and a new Skywatcher dual speed crayford from FLO.

The optics are not great though fine for deep sky work, but probably a quarter wave or so.  I recently re-sited the diagonal which improved the image significantly; I used to think the optics were closer to a half wave, but they seem better than that.  From my pretty good location I have seen tricky objects such as three of Stephan's Quintet, the Flame nebula, M51's arms, NGC 5053, C17 and much more.  The previous keeper to me used it for galaxy hunting and amassed an impressive catalogue of observations. 

The scope is just too big for me to use frequently and I tend to get out the ten inch instead and the twenty inch is getting a permanent site for when I want to go deeper.  I hope it could make a good instrument for someone else.  Obviously this is too big to post, so it is pick up from mid Wales (Llanwrtyd Wells).

£250 or offers.  Open to trades.

14inch darkstar.jpg

Sign in to follow this