SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi :)

I have a Sky-Watcher telescope, model AC 120/600 Startravel BD AZ-3 that I want to use to take photographies. 

This one: http://www.astroshop.eu/skywatcher-telescope-ac-120-600-startravel-bd-az-3/p,16710

I have an "old"(2009 model) Nikon D3100 camera and a t-ring, but the thing is that my camera won't read the t-ring. I read online that it's too old to be compatible with a t-ring.
So I wondered if anyone knows about any camera models I can use? I'm thinking about getting a new camera because of this and I would like some recommendations. Which cameras do you know are able to "read" a t-ring? I would prefer the cheapest models

Thank you for your time

Your camera is fine to use. T rings are just adaptors you fit on your camera instead of the lens. I then like to use a t mount to attach to the t ring this then means I can mount my camera in the eyepiece focuser tube. With the star travel you remove the diagonal and then I think you need a plain 2 inch long extension tube.  Your tripod will mean you will be limited to very short exposure length. When used in this way you use your camera in full m manual mode.

20 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Your camera is fine to use. T rings are just adaptors you fit on your camera instead of the lens. I then like to use a t mount to attach to the t ring this then means I can mount my camera in the eyepiece focuser tube. With the star travel you remove the diagonal and then I think you need a plain 2 inch long extension tube.  Your tripod will mean you will be limited to very short exposure length. When used in this way you use your camera in full m manual mode.

I tried to use it in manual mode but the picture is just blurry. I tried to regulate the ISO but it didn't make a difference

10 hours ago, VictoriaMT said:

I tried to use it in manual mode but the picture is just blurry. I tried to regulate the ISO but it didn't make a difference

Blurry. as in out of focus, or, streaky ?. If the images are out of focus you might need an extension tube between the camera and telescope to achieve focus. If the images are streaky (stars look like short lines rather than points) the cause is probably your manual alt az Az3 mount.

You can try to get a rough camera focus in the daytime by shooting something a couple of kilometres away. This will tell you if you have the right adapters to hold the camera at the correct distance from the front lens. As the others have said, you may need an extension tube to reach this point.

I don't know how much you have read about astrophotography but the images you see on the Deep Sky Imaging section are mostly taken on expenesive equatorial mounts which track the sky very accurately and allow for long exposures.

Olly

On 2/1/2017 at 17:26, VictoriaMT said:

Hi :)

I have a Sky-Watcher telescope, model AC 120/600 Startravel BD AZ-3 that I want to use to take photographies. 

This one: http://www.astroshop.eu/skywatcher-telescope-ac-120-600-startravel-bd-az-3/p,16710

I have an "old"(2009 model) Nikon D3100 camera and a t-ring, but the thing is that my camera won't read the t-ring. I read online that it's too old to be compatible with a t-ring.
So I wondered if anyone knows about any camera models I can use? I'm thinking about getting a new camera because of this and I would like some recommendations. Which cameras do you know are able to "read" a t-ring? I would prefer the cheapest models

Thank you for your time

Hi, Victoria

I've been taking pictures with my trusty old Nikon D-50 (now, that's OLD) and T-Ring successfully for several years now with my Orion StarMax 127 Maksutov, no extra adapters other than the T-Ring itself. I simply attach the T-Ring the camera, remove the diagonal from the visual back and screw on the T-Ring to the scope. Then, I set my camera to manual mode and adjust the shutter/aperture settings. The toughest part is getting the image in sharp focus if it's a very faint object because the D50 won't let you monitor your shot on the preview screen. So, I have to use the viewfinder to focus the image (yuk)! You'll need an EQ mount with accurate tracking to get pictures without blur unless you're taking pictures of  bright objects with short exposures. 

Here's one of my D-50 prime focus shots of M42:

ASTRONOMY%20-%20ORION%20NEBULA%20GUIDED%

I would read some reviews on Amazon about the compatibility of Nikon cameras with T-Rings like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002379UO/ref=asc_df_B0002379UO4757878?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=shopzilla0d-20&ascsubtag=shopzilla_rev_27-20;14860865672756596962010090301008005&linkCode=df0&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0002379UO

Reggie :icon_biggrin:

Archived