Narrowband

Hello from Chorley, Lancashire!

Hailfire101

Hello guys/gals/Aliens.

I just had a thought... I've been cheekily reading the forums for a while, in the shadows.
And recently joined the site and started asking lots of questions about what equipment I need, how to use it and all the normal newb stuff.

But I've never actually said hello!  How rude! 

So, thought I'd say hi and thanks for having me.

I'm a total noobie at astronomy and astrophotography.  But, I've always enjoyed looking up and wondering what is up there.

Me and my partner visited the astronomy centre up at Todmorden last year, and after a few hours looking at the moon and a few double stars (I think it was Albireo that won me over!) we decided we needed a telescope.

Months later, and a few pennies spent, I've mustered together some gear and really enjoying looking up and taking photos.
When I 1st saw the Orion nebula with my own eyes, in my own garden... that was it. Hooked. Loved it.
20 minutes later, I'd found the grey blob known as Andromeda.  Even more hooked.  (My profile pic, was my 2nd attempt at photoing it and using photoshop!)

Now, I'm just ploding along, increasing my equipment and improving/modding what I can.... waiting for the Clouds to begger off.

Thanks to the people who have helped and advised me so far.  And thanks for the future help I'm sure I'll need.

Regards
Mike

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JemC said:

Hi and welcome to SGL from another chorleyite, :icon_biggrin:

it's a great forum to be a part of,

but you must tell us what equipment you have mustered together, just because we are nosey and like to know :icon_biggrin:

Hi there fellow Chorleyite!

So far, I've got togther the Skywatcher 200p on the EQ5 mount. Not the best mount for the weight I'm sticking on it, but all my pocket can afford for now! :)
I've added the ra/da motor kit, and modded the standard controler to have an ST4 port.
Connected to the St4 port, I've just purchased the QHY5L-II Mono camera to guide me, currently through the 9x50 SW finderscope.
For my EPs... well, I've been slacking so far.  Just the 25mm and the 32mm ones that came with the scope, plus the x2 Barlow.
I'm using a Canon 1100d DSLR camera, which is unmodded with a remote timers/detonator! So I can keep warm in the shed/house while it does its thing.

Just received a bahtinov mask I bought off someone on here... not used it yet though, and waiting on delivery of a Coma Corrector too.

Thats about all I have so far.  Will Keep dreaming of the EQ6 Pro and a good cooled mono CCD for now. :) 

3 hours ago, Hailfire101 said:

...  (I think it was Albireo that won me over!) ...

Nice intro, Mike. Thanks for the formality.

Anyone who spells the star's name correctly is doubly welcome! ??

(I'm a pedant as well as a stargazer.) ???

12 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Hi Mike,

I'm from Chorley too. I now live in France but I was in Chorley for most of my school life and returned after college for a few years as well.

Olly

I can easily understand upgrading from Chorley to France. ? ? 

My partner attended Southlands, but I'm born a Wiganer....  I've defected to Chorley. 

Nice to 'meet' you anyway. 

Hi Mike - I'm not a million miles from Chorley (and fewer from Tarelton, johnrt).  Know what you mean about getting hooked - M42, M31.  Just wait until you encounter clusters like M44, C14.  There's enough out there for a lifetime's pleasure!

Doug.

8 hours ago, Alfian said:

Hi Mike and a welcome from the other side of the Pennines (just), what weather you get we usually get a while later. Nothing like sharing!

I'm a nice guy... and I love to share...
In fact, you can have all this cloud and rain and wind..... take it all. honest I dont mind. :) haha

Archived