Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

15 Million degrees: A journey to the centre of the sun

Relpet

Professor Lucie Green is based at the Mullard Space Science Laboratory in Holmbury St Mary, a village a few miles from our own village in Surrey.  Lucie appears regulalrly on BBC radio and TV but last year my wife and I, plus a number of other local people, were privileged to attend a fascinating talk given by Lucie at our local viillage hall concerning her work at MSSL.  As a result my wife gave me Lucie's book - with the above title - as a Christmas present.  Anyone who has an interest in the past, present and future mechanics of our life-giving star will find this a fascinating, highly-informative, captivatingly-written and thoroughly enjoyable addition to their library.  Published by Viking, an imprint of Penguin Books, my copy was ordered through Waterstones but should be widely available.  Reasonably priced it is a treasure house of information and, unlike many technically erudite tomes, it is so engagingly written that I understood at least half of it!  The memorable nuggets will stay with me and I do recommend solar enthusiasts investigate Lucie's book.  Now for some advice on solar filters...

6 hours ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Yes, and if you like that you will also like 'The Magic Furnace' by Marcus Chown.

Thanks, Chris.  Just read a few reviews and have given my wife notice to make sure it arrives in time for my birthday.

Archived